Repair or replace Sony s300

I love the sound and picture but it is starting to not read rentals unless perfectly clean. Can it be repaired and/or is it worth it?
If not which model of Sony or Denon would sound and look as good under 400$
Thanks, Ed
dred

Showing 2 responses by reubent

If you really want to repair it, you can contact Sony Service directly and they will give you a fixed price quote. Don't take it to a Sony authorized service center as they can charge you whatever they want.

However, I would suggest that you simply replace it. Nearly any modern day DVD player will probably outperform it for video and audio.

The S300 did not have progressive scan, right? Do you have a high def. TV? Either way, the new DVD players should look very good. You can get the universally praised Oppo 971 for $199 direct from Oppo, or you can get it sibling, Oppo 970 for $149 (I think that's correct). These players have received very high praise from almost everyone. My father-in-law has the 971 and it looks great on his 65" hi-def TV.

Enjoy,

TIC
Dred,

The Oppo 971 would be the perfect DVD player for video connected to the DVI input on the Mitsu. I think the audio is pretty good too. If you are more concerned about the audio, the Oppo 970 is supposedly sounds a bit better, but is not quite as good for video.

Either way, you should be in good shape. The Oppos are hugely popular and you could re-sell one for only about $30-40 dollar loss if you don't love it. You may find that it is so good that you just keep it till it dies.

BTW, are you using it for movies only or is it also your primary music player?

Enjoy,

TIC