Personally I'm with your wife on this one. Popcorn ceilings are way to tacky (looking). I'm sure there is something you can do that would at least equal the sonic equivalent of that god-awful popcorn.
8 responses Add your response
I'd expect the room to liven up a bit with the removal. The other issue is the removal of this substance can cause considerable temporary elevated moisture issues, severe minute partial dust issues, and paint fumes. Be sure to protect your equipment and furnishings very well, the dust gets everywhere.
If you decide to go ahead with the removal, wear a protective mask and eye protection. Absolutely do not wear contact lens, the dust is an extreme eye irritant and quite abrasive. Also make sure the wife helps so she can fully "appreciate" all the effort involved!
Excuse me for being a kill-joy here but has anyone thought about the possiblity of asbestos in the ceiling pop-corn. Before 1979 asbestos was a major part of it and even afterward. Prudence dictates that you consider this possiblity. A test would be a minor expense. And if asbestos is involve, I would have it professionally done. Or seal it up with a new sprayed-on paint job and leave it.
dunno what you mean by "popcorn ceiling" but if it helps to reduce slap echo then you'll be the worse for removing it. I had our whole living room ceiling sprayed 1" thick with cellulose insulation fiber (bleached white vs. the standard warehouse gray). This helped tremendously & while the room is still slightly 'hot' acoustically, ordinary wall rugs, partial floor carpet, & some stuffed furniture were adequate enough treatments that no 'special treatment appliances' were needed. For me this ceiling is much more WAF-freindly than the ugly alternatives if I didn't have that ceiling.
The asbestos date was 1977--phased-out from 1974 law./ Builders were allowed to use what they had/ It just couldn't be mfg'ed after 74./By 77 you couldn't use it period. One could have a sample tested. You can use an encapsulating rubberized paint over it.(Legal) If you are sure it is post 77 and want it removed--empty the room, plastic the walls and floor, wet it then the home depot scrapper. It comes off like a hot knife through butter when wet. It falls onto the plastic ready for disposal-- Only if asbestos free. It would be a major problem it it was"hot". 10's of thousands of dollars to have it removed and disposed of.I would keep it /or encapsulate it( depending on the date it was put on) The sound absorption/ first reflection/value;the reason.
If this is on most of the ceilings one would assume it was put on when the house was built/ If you know that date you are fine. The date the house was built is also stamped inside your toilet. The back side of the tank cover/ also inside the tank near the top.