REL Studio III vs. JL Audio Fathom 113

Anyone have real listening experience and advice for this comparison and final decision? I will be using two subs in a two channel system that includes the Hovland HP200, Pass Labs X350.5 and Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario. Room size is 20' by 15'. Looking for increased bass speed, slam, detail and recorded ambience.

I like the REL system connections to amplifier terminals and the dial up frequency cut off or filter features of the REL in that no cross over is necessary. Use what you need. After having heard these subs in two systems, I would like a little more of all the variables mentioned above. Seems a little slow and rich even when properly set up by trained installers.

I like the digital amp design for the JL Audio and the master/slave configuration. I also like the user friendly integrated set up process and microphone system. Though I have not heard these subs yet, I have been told that they can provide impressive speed, slam, detail and a tight bass that can compare to anything in the market. I don't like the need (recommended) for a crossover and the potential integration problems for best sound. I like the price. If the sound assumptions are true, it would be great if I could dial in a cut off frequency like the REL and without a crossover.

Any comments?
128x128audiothunder

Showing 1 response by ras422

I have 2 --JLaudio F113 used in stereo with my stats--have tried summed mode and not as good as stereo --they are fast and are seemless with the stats--sound like real bass and are the best subs I have ever owned --I am sure the Rel subs are quite good--just becomes a matter of preference --good luck--note I do have an active xover