Rel storm III or Stadium III.

I'm using Vienna Acoustic Beethoven for the main set up, Maestro for center and Haydn for surr. Currently I am using M&k V125 subwoofer for home theater(30%) and music(70%), I want to replace the subwoofer on my system, should I go for Rel storm III or stadium III? will it be any different between M&K V125 and Rel Storm III? Due to budget limitation I can only get Storm III in a couple months or I will save it up for Stadium III within a year. Any suggestions will be apreciated.
hongacoustic

Showing 3 responses by merge038346

The REL maybe "old tech", in how it accomplishes its goal. Let's judge equipment based on how successful the equipment is in acheiving its intended purpose.
I have only critically listened to (and owned) the DD's 18" predecesor. Unfortuneately, I don't have the opportunity to listen to the new 18" DD, especially now that you have my curiousity piqued. I do not feel that that previous Velo model integrated or performed as well as the Stentor III which replaces it.

But as you point out, this is not the new DD series, which I admit I have not listened to.
I have owned, and liked the one version older 18" Velodyne. It's a great sub for HT. It's a great sub period. But, when it comes to integration with your main two channel speakers for two channel music listening, go REL and don't bother to look back. I am now a happy Stentor owner (sold the Velo). The way the Stentor seemlessly integrates with my already full range speakers is amazing.

I run my big front speakers full range for HT, I only need that sub for the .1 material, and the REL provides seperate inputs and levels for both.

You have to understand your buget. Cycle per cycle the REL is a touch more expensive than the 18" Velo. The REL's higher price is commesurate with its higher performance, for sure. If the budget is a higher priority than music, go Velo. If music comes first, go REL.