REL Q108E, strange review, somewhat confused.

I just read a review in Home Theater Magazine.

I think there might be something either I dont understand, or this magazine does not understand.

This little $749 subwoofer got a real great review in the rag, but something i dont get.

It states this "Subwoofer can dig deeper and more forcwful than anything else in this price range"

Now here is the wierd thing.

the Lab measurements show this thing to have a very sharp peak at 100hz at 90db in the close-miked responce.
The -3db is 63hz and the -6db is at 52hz. The Amplifier on this runs 100Watts

Im not sure how such a claim of "this sub can dig deeper and more forceful" can apply to a subwoofer that is down 65db at 20hz!!!!

TWO PAGES LATER, however, is a review for the Outlaw LFM-1, This retails for $579.00. This subwoofer takes a 118DB peak at 60Hz, -3db at 25hz and -6db 22hz, 325W RMS with 1,300 Peak. This subwoofer looks like it will give you a nice kidney massage, from the SPECS alone, i would say they Outlaw LFM-1 gets WAY deeper and WAY WAY more forceful!

I understand that measurements cannot show how musical it is or how smooth, but Specs CAN (as far as i know) show how deep and forceful it is.

Personally, looking at specs alone, i would have a hard time calling the Rel Q108E a Subwoofer at all!

What am i not getting here folks? Both reviews were written by the same guy in the same issue!

I know rel has a wicked reputation for putting out top-notch subwoofers, but this does not make sence to me.

Anybody have any insight to this subwoofer? Anyone able to explain what he means when saying this Rel that can hit 40Hz at 80Db goes "Deeper" than a subwoofer thats 20Hz at 104db?

Not trying to slam on REL, but this makes no sence to me. Maybe my understanding of "Deep" and "Forceful" are way out of the ballpark
slappy

Showing 1 response by tumbler

I have the Q108 in my secondary system (a Stadium III in the Ht/primary system). I am very satisfied with it and it does go quite low. It plays with a pair of Sonus Faber Concertos in a small room and I am quite happy with it. No audiophile comments, just a solid competant little sub.