REL G-2 or JL Audio F-112

I'm getting my first sub and after some research have narrowed down to these finalists. I have separate 2-channel and HT systems (side by side) that share NO common components or speakers. The sub will perform double duty with simultaneous integration into both systems. Both the REL and the JL (with the help my preamp's HT bypass) offer this flexibility. The sub will assist my Aerial 10T's on the two channel side and provide for LFE content in my B&K/Def Tech HT system. The price is about the same so its down to "primarily" sonic considerations. My listening habits are about 80% 2-channel and 20% HT.

What say you? I'd certainly appreciate any opinions or comments to help me make this decision!

Shoff (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

07-07-12
shoff

Showing 1 response by martykl

I don't know the G-2, but REL and JL are usually about as diametrically opposed as designs can be. A quick look at test results reveals that the RELs are woofers with extended bass and the JLs are true subwoofers designed for clean output in the bottom octave.

For example:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/6015-index-subwoofer-tests-manufacturer-model.html

Caveat: This type of result may not be applicable to more recent REL designs.

The good news is that you can pick your poison here. I'll take the JL every time, but many prefer REL.

Good Luck

Marty