Reimyo CDP-777 vs Ayon CD-5

I am curious if any Audiogoner's have had the opportunity to compare these two great redbook players? Both warm, analogue sounding and both pushing the limits of redbook design, though from different schools of thought; one being solid state & the other being a tube design.

There is no doubt the Reimyo is built around a great transport, but do the virtues of Ayon's Skylla-based player put it on a level pegging?
melbguy1

Showing 7 responses by melbguy1

Hi Kingstyles1, yes I read that review, but would like to hear from any members who have personally compared the two players. Reviews can be a bit biased, no disrespect intended to reviewer Wojciech Pacula. Cheers.
No comments? It would be awesome to hear from an Audiogoner who has compared the two players!
I surmise no comment because the CD-5 is the undisputed winner. Vive la Ayon!
Well buyers have a choice; buy a superceded player which will become a boat anker the moment the laser goes, or buy a reference player which is fully supported with readily available parts & back up and built with Austrian engineering..
Thanks for the info Mike, though it will inevitably be a similar situation to Infinity. Infinity (Harmon Group) kept a batch of old parts for Classic Infinity models, and within a few years they sold out, now they're no longer available anywhere but Ebay or AG second hand. Also, the transport itself is definitely no longer available. Victor no longer supply that transport which has now been superceded by Reimyo.
Thanks for the info Whitewind, for me the inclusion of an excellent tube pre-amp in the Ayon CD-5 moved me in that direction, otherwise I would have been interested in the old CDP-777. I agree, it's transport is one of the best ever made, though I don't agree the Pro-2 LH version transport (as used by Ayon) is cheap rubbish. It's good enough for Audio Research's reference player & many others, and still a fine transport. To my knowledge, no one has done a comparison of the CDP-777 & CD-5, but that would be interesting!