regarding shielding

My question...some interconnects have the shielding only connected to one end of the cable ( often the pre amp end) .WHY? If both ends are not connected then there would be no circuit, no current flow and so would there be any effect at all?
Is the idea not to send any generated current from interference to ground so it does not interfere with the signal?
pl_guy

Showing 3 responses by mt10425

Okay, I'm using unshielded cables from both, my TT and preamp. The phono preamp is plugged into the wall using a c-7 cable. It's very quiet, no RFI. I did the star grounding with other cables and it worked okay, but why with non-shielded cables do I get better sound without them acting like antennas? Also, I have four dedicated circuits which everything is plugged into.
Sure. The cables are Music Metre with a single silver wire in a semi-flat transparent tube. 1m from TT to TTVJ Hybrid phono stage - 1/2m from phono to Sophia Baby amp. With the amp turned all the way up there is no tube rush or any noise.i thought phono cables had to be shielded against RFI. Apparently not. C-7 is the two pronged end of some power cords. I use Furutech outlets on my dedicated circuits. Let me know if that's enough info.
Thanks much Nsgarch! I've looked hard for that info without any luck. I
knew the hybrid phono was not all tube, but didn't know when SS kicked in.
It's very hard to tell there are two wires just by looking at the cable. The
phono power supply isn't the plug into the wall type, but the type a
computer printer uses (2 piece) with a separate cord (in this case a c-7
Pangea) to the wall. As far as the 60Hz hum, all cables are placed away
from each other, none touch. The cart is MM, a Grado Sonata. Again, this
is much appreciated info and helps to explain my questions.