REGA-VPI JR- LINN- OR ? UNDER $800

Can someone share their choice for a used turntable under $800 ?
128x128lolo

Showing 5 responses by musikdok

Interesting facts Sedond - I've not seen "up close 'n' personal" an Oracle (not heard one of course), but it does seem quite the refinement of the sprung subchassis design (not to mention a beauteous modernistic table). Perhaps, some day (when an LP collection of 5000+ manifests - yeah right!), I'll look for something besides my humbly-yet-effectively modded LP-12. Just out of curiosity, what arm and cartridge do you currently use? Regards, John
If this is a first table, I would say the Rega 3 or VPI Jr, either with the Rega arm. The VPI provides for an upgrade path, which is an attractive option. Both are lower maintenance designs. I have an LP-12, which is a very good table as well, but has caused much neurosis with set-up issues. It would be best to have a local dealer to assist with this. If at all possible, listen to the different tables and get a feel as to which one would be right for you. Good luck!
Lolo, the set up for the Linn (and also the Oracle, If I'm not mistaken) requires adjustment of the sprung subchassis for maximum performance. If not treated like a "close 'n' play," the Linn retains it's setup fairly well. BUT it does need readjustment periodically (for me, 1-2 yrs). I've encountered some folks who seem to think that 2 weeks after proper setup their LP-12 is going to go out of adjustment and sound like crap. That of course, is not true. The "flip-side" (if you will) is a newer mass-loaded design such as the VPI Aries or the Immedia. Their approach to resonance control is mass to achieve isolation as opposed to springs. It really boils down to taste (and of course BUDGET), insofar as both design and sound go. The Oracle mentioned above is I'm sure an excellent table, with a rep for being a bit "cool" sounding (at the same time very musical). The Linn on the other hand, has a rep for being "warm" with some fairly well-known resonance "issues" (in the process of correcting). ANYWAY, lest I ramble incessantly, good luck in your quest. I would recommend a higher-end table in a previous incarnation (as Sedond suggests). Then you'll have the option of upgrades. Regards, -John
Great minds think alike! Thanks for the advice, but I'm way ahead of you on O.L. upgrades (i.e., DC motor kit). I installed it on my LP-12 about 6 mos ago, and have been smiling ever since. I didn't know it was applicable to the Oracle! I've strongly considered the O.L. 250, but can't come up with any major gripes about my Ittok II. I'm more concerned with replacing the standard subchassis with the Cetech. I can appreciate your approach to the Lyra - I'm awaiting my first *really* good low-output coil to arrive, but will likely continue to use my interim cartridge until the subchassis is in. I'd be very interested in your experience with the 250 - my impressions are that it may not be the "giant killer" it was first reported to be but is nonetheless a superb value and a great performer. Happy Listening! John
To Lolo: If you're still following this thread, I've come to a conclusion (FWIW). Purchasing a second-hand TT is one thing, but used arms and cartridges can be tricky business, with ham-handed folks inflicting damage on unsuspecting gear. All things being equal, it seems that the Origin Live modified RB-250 is perhaps the best value on the planet right now. If I were starting from scratch, I'd purchase one of these highly-touted arms new, then find a good second-hand table to mount it on. I would imagine it to work on virtually any table - it reportedly is even a good match for the LP-12 due to the increased structural stability that the mod(s) bring. Then, get a good budget cartridge and start enjoying vinyl! You can always upgrade the cartridge (and the table, depending on which you choose), but you'll have the foundation for years of enjoyment I'm sure. Regards, John