Rega Saturn or Sony XA5400: Sound or features?

The original Rega Saturn is discontinued, but continues to get positive customer reviews on this site and others. It came to market in 2006. I am curious what might be the better value, Sony's XA5400ES or the Rega Saturn. The Sony has more features including the ability to play HDCD, SACD's. I am more interested in the best sound. For the record, the Sony 5400 represents later technology than the Rega

I am downsizing my system to two components besides the speakers: an integrated amp and CD player. So I want to get the best sound possible without spending $3000 for a new or even used player.
sunnyjim

Showing 2 responses by akg_ca

Had a top end CDP that did HDCD

First comment ... yeah .... HDCD was "okay" when compared to my many redbook CDs.

Next comment: HDCD is a discontinued CD format, but agreed, you can still find HDCDs but they are limited w/o prejudice to any XRCD discussion below.

Traded in the HDCD player for a redbook REGA ISIS VALVE cdp ... now my many redbook CDs played on the new kit smoke all my HDCDs on the prior CDP in terms of performance.

To take it to the next step, you may then want to introduce XRCD format CDs that are no small further step up in performance.

The point: the quality of the cdp and its DACs will provide you with your listening pleasure exponentially more than the CD format.
Had a top end CDP that did HDCD

First comment ... yeah .... HDCD was "okay" when compared to my many redbook CDs.

Next comment: HDCD is a discontinued CD format, but agreed, you can still find HDCDs but they are limited w/o prejudice to any XRCD discussion below.

Traded in the HDCD player for a redbook REGA ISIS VALVE cdp ... now my many redbook CDs played on the new kit smoke all my HDCDs on the prior CDP in terms of performance.

To take it to the next step, you may then want to introduce XRCD format CDs that are no small further step up in performance.

The point: the quality of the cdp and its DACs will provide you with your listening pleasure exponentially more than the CD format.