Rega RB1000 and VTA Adjustment

I only listen to vinyl and my analog system consists of a Rega P9 table, Rega RB1000 arm, Shelter 501 cart and Klyne System 6 phono stage. Rega tonearms do not allow for the possibility of VTA adjustment so I assumed that I did not need it. I thought everything sounded great... but last week I purchased spacers to adjust the VTA of the Rega tonearm to the specs of my cartidge.

The change in the sound and musicality of my system is astounding. Imaging and detail have greatly improved. Speakers seem to disappear and there is no background noise. This hobby is the best (except for flyfishing and skeet shooting ofcourse)

I did not believe that VTA adjustment could make a difference on my table. Now the problem is that I want to see what the Shelter 90x cart will sound like on the P9.

Anyone else install spacers under their Rega arms and get the same effect?

-Rich
rich62

Showing 1 response by theo

As a P25 owner that has added several tweeks, each improving the sound. I have come to the conclusion that Rega is like Henry Ford in that if you leave it as it was designed and use only Rega cartridges you could live in a perfect world. Unfortunately some of us actually listen to the music with critical ears and that is where I find the rega to come up short. Don't misundersatnd my piont here I thing the Rega is a graet TT for the money and luckily enough people have thought so enought to produce and market the tweeks. All in all a Rega is a nice place to start, but as expensive as a P9 is I think I would look at other TT's before plopping down the funds on a TT without a ground lead, VTA, choice of cabling, etc.