Rega RB1000 and VTA Adjustment

I only listen to vinyl and my analog system consists of a Rega P9 table, Rega RB1000 arm, Shelter 501 cart and Klyne System 6 phono stage. Rega tonearms do not allow for the possibility of VTA adjustment so I assumed that I did not need it. I thought everything sounded great... but last week I purchased spacers to adjust the VTA of the Rega tonearm to the specs of my cartidge.

The change in the sound and musicality of my system is astounding. Imaging and detail have greatly improved. Speakers seem to disappear and there is no background noise. This hobby is the best (except for flyfishing and skeet shooting ofcourse)

I did not believe that VTA adjustment could make a difference on my table. Now the problem is that I want to see what the Shelter 90x cart will sound like on the P9.

Anyone else install spacers under their Rega arms and get the same effect?

-Rich
rich62

Showing 2 responses by docsavage

A discussion I may be able to participate in.
First, I totally agree on the flyfish comment. Here in So. Fl. it is awesom.
Re. Rega I also have a P9 with the RB 1000. I had the 501 with it but have now made a switch to a Van Den Hul Black Beauty Sp.X The combination with the correct spacers is excellent.The 501 was good but the VDH is much superior. The 90X should be a good match.
Now the interesting part about this thread is that I am looking to upgrade the arm. I have reached the conclusion that the Rega table can stay for a bit longer but I am on the verge of purchasing a Schroeder DPS. The design is fastcinating and I hope sounds as good as it looks.
I know many Goners will be critical of the Schroeder on the P9 but why not. At some point I am sure I will get the twitch again and change out the P9 but for now this may be a bid improvement with the ability to change VTA
and fine tune. Also, eff. arm mass is important. The RB 1000 has an EFF. mass of 10. The Schroeder 12 with a certain type of wood used in the arm.
Make sure the cart. is suited to the tonearm mass.
This is a great hobby.
Rich62
Thanks for the reference on Van Den Hul article. I will check it out.
The Schroeder uses a Rega mounting scheme. After some research and exchanges with Thom, Rep for Schroeder, I think I can mount the Schroeded arm to the P9 with little effort and no scars should I sell the 9.
I can't afford a new TT at this time so I say go for the arm for now, especially after reading the post on P9 tweaks. Thanks Kate. I have very much enjoyed the P9 with the RB1000 but I feel I need to take the next step. VTA and all.
I will post when the Schroeder arrives.

I started fishing in the Catskills many years ago. I loved it but salltwater is awesome and down here its year round.
Also shot skeet for several years. Too many hobbies. Had to boil it down.