Rega R3 or Paradigm Studio 20 V.3 with Rega Brio 3

I currently have a Rega Brio 3 integrated amp and I love it. It is paired with a Rotel 940-AX tuner and vintage Mordaunt-Short Festival Series 2 speakers. I bought the Mordaunt-Short speakers because they are all I could afford to keep the system under $1000, but I am not sure if they are limiting my system. The dealership I bought the system from deals in new and used audiophile components and they swear that the Mordaunt-Shorts blow anything else away they know of selling for under $800-900. The speakers do sound great, but they were made in the early '80's. I am considering buying either nOrh 5.1's, the new B&W 600-series bookshelves, or most likely, either the REGA R3's (synergy) or the Paradigm Studio 20 V.3. Does anyone have any input on
this? I appreciate it.
regafan_1972

Showing 4 responses by regafan_1972

Hello again,

Thanks for the great input.

To throw something else into the mix, I am considering the speaker upgrade, or going with something like a new CD player in the $800-900 range, most likely the Rega Apollo if I can muster the money. So, it will be either newer speakers OR a new CD player. I guess it kind of depends on the philosophy one prescribes to - source is most important or the speakers are the most important. I am a little up in the air, but I am leaning towards the new CD and keeping the Mordaunt-Short oldy but goodies.

Advice please!

Thanks again.
Hello Rich,

Great response, I will probably take your advice and keep the Mordaunt-Shorts until I can make a better upgrade "strategically".

To answer your question, I do not have a CD player now, I just plug my iPod into the auxiliary jack on the integrated amplifier and listen to that. This is definitely my weak link, but I am on a budget. I was considering the OPPO 980H, but I do not have a TV and I understand you need one to set it up.

My system does sound nice, but a CD player (the right one) is a soon-to-be-added component, thus I want to make an educated decision.

Thanks again in advance for any advice.
Hey Rich,

By the way, I just looked at your system and notice you have a Rega Apollo! That is the best sounding CD player I have heard, bar none. Although I have not listened to $5000 or higher CD players, I did listen to a NAIM player and I thought the Apollo sounded better in my opinion. Granted, I was listening to the Apollo with a Rega Brio 3 AND Rega R3 speakers, so there may something to be said for synergy. How do you like your Apollo?
Hey Bongofury,

I am looking for a Playstation SCPH-1001 now and they are creeping up in price. Wouldn't I have to have a TV to operate it and set it up? If not, then I will be on the hunt for one soon.

I will check out the speakers you mentioned. The guys I bought my vintage speakers from sell Naim, JM Labs/Focal, Tannoy, Quad, Cambridge Audio, Roksan, Linn, and other high-end brands and they swear by the Mordaunt Shorts that I have. I still can't help but wonder if I bought newer speakers... Anyway, they might have to do for a little while, but I am going to take your advice and listen to the ones you recommended.

Thanks alot