Rega, Pro-Ject, Technics SL-1200

A few months ago I bought a SL-1200 M3D and put a Shure M97xe cartridge on it soon after. Its not nearly broke in but I have to say while it sounds ok its not what I consider "audiophile" quality or at least not yet. And in no way is this a slam against the 1200. A buddy of mine let me borrow his Pro-Ject RM5.1SE that comes with the MC Sumiko Blue Point and 9" carbon fiber tone arm. Honestly after comparing the 2 last night the Pro-Ject was the clear winner. Not that the Technics sounds bad at all but I would say rather on the thin or edgy in comparison. My question is how does Rega lets say a P3 or P5 compare to the RM5.1SE? What is each mfg house sound? I know the Technics can be upgraded by KAB but not sure its worth the cost or time. I am just getting into vinyl so not really too experienced when it comes to different manufacturers and value per dollar. Seems the Rega has more upgrade path from what I've seen. The RM5.1SE does sound very sweet but not sure how it would compare against a P3 or P5?
Ag insider logo xs@2xsamzx12

Showing 10 responses by samzx12

Rich I have considered changing and to be honest after researching carts the M97xe seemed to be a logical choice. However, I almost bit the bullet and bought a Denon MC cart and can't remember the number. It was around $200. Is your Stanton modified and if so did you hear it in stock form? On another note I don't want to buy several carts as those alone can get pricey. I really like the idea of a direct drive like the Technics but right now disappointed in the sound. I know I can modify it but not sure I want to go through the hassle and will the mods be a substantial improvement?

Lindi what is your opinion on the Rega vs the Pro-Ject? Which models have you owned? P3 or P5? Thanks!
LOL Stringreen. I actually heard Del Monte tomato paste made better isolation platforms. I do have cats so I better make sure I have a dustcover :) Any suggestions?
Rich I totally agree that some pressings aren't the best. I used Steely Dan's Greatest Hits as a reference because its recorded well. The 1200 sounded thin and edgy where the Pro-Ject sounded smoother, airy and more robust. The 1200 wasn't awful but nothing like the Pro-Ject. The 1200 was definitely more alive but not in a good way in my opinion. I wonder what the differences are between the 1200 and ST-150? Does the ST-150 sound less metallic or thin than the 1200 in stock form?

Inna...I will check into the Interspace more. The only negative thing I see so far is the tonearm can be susceptible to vibrations. It looks very interesting however, as I know Nottingham makes great TT's.
Boofer great point. Makes perfect sense and so glad you pointed this out. Part of me wants to go ahead and try something different but I'm trying to be patient.
Sting I really didn't know if you were serious. Now that I read it again I understand. Sorry about that :)
Rich I'm going to try a Denon DL 110. I've heard very good things about this cartridge. Local vintage audio dealer has one.
I'm taking the headshell to my buddy and will watch him install and line it up. This may give me a better comparison between the Technics and Pro-Ject.

I will keep you updated. Should have the cart late next week. Thanks for your input.

Sam
Awesome recommendations Johnny. Thank you very much. The mods are cheap and very doable. I changed cartridges yesterday hoping to hear a big difference but I'm hearing distortion or its like 80% of the music is playing. I put on a Denon DL110 and tried to adjust the tonearm and the arm wants to return unless I place it halfway across the platter. The Anti skate is at zero.