Rega Plant 2000 CD Player

Has anyone heard the new Rega Planet 2000 CD player? How does it compare to the original Rega Plant? Seems like the retail price for the new player is only $200 more (at $1000), but promises to offer substantial improvements. I was thinking of purchasing the orginal Rega Planet but maybe I should wait until I could demo the new player. Regards, -david
davidkang27
I have yet to hear the unit, but did see one in a store. Hats off to Rega for the design...it is very elegant and modern....almost Michael Graves/Raymond Lowey.
I saw it at a local store, its built quality sure is worse than the old model. It's like a regular inexpensice CDP -- plastic frontplate, metal U-shaped cover -- nothing like the old one. Did not audition it though, but the sales guy said it was not as rolled off at the extremes and also smoother.
I have one of the old Planets - and it is the darling of everyone that hears it - and the architect-type friends of mine who see it. The build quality and operation are outstanding. I haven't heard the new unit, but remember you can hook up an outboard DAC to a Planet or go for it outright via a Jupiter.