Rega P5 W/RB700 Cartridge Match / Mate ?

OK, I love analog but I am a plug and play individual. 2 questions
Have a Rega P5 with the RB 700 and for now I have the Dynavector 20XH which is 2.8mv. I use MM on my Phono Pre.
I do have the outboard power supply for the Rega.

Question: 1 The internal wiring is Klotz what ever that is. I read about the Incognito Wiring and wonder?

Question: 2 I will keep the 20XH in place for now as I am getting a new Phono Pre next week and really want to hear it the way it is. I like change, or at least to try other cartridges. What cartridge is a good mate for this arm?

I read all these specs and after done reading I still don't know any more. I think it's a audio brain lock when it comes to analog.
I don't want to take out a loan on this cartridge so lets keep it 1000.00 or under. ( give or take ) a little.

I do like the Dynavector sound but I am not married to it.

Suggestions would be appreciated, "Incognito - Cartridge"
Dave
valleyplastic
I would not recommend the rewire. Have you used sims on your RB700 arm for the Dynavector cartridge? I use the DV20XH on my Rega P7. Prior to this table I used a Exact on my P5/TTPSU combo - nice pairing. For the price the Dynavector is a tough cartridge to beat. I have kept my Exact as a backup cartridge.
The Exact is not only a good match, but it's a snap to install. However, it is IMHO a bit on the "dry" side. Rega has a new MC and you might want to see what you can learn about that cart.

Marty
Thanks for the response, gives me something to think about. Audiofeil, I have to agree with you on the 20XH.
Martykl, I will look into this new MC you mentioned.
Miner42, yes on the shim. and you are not alone on "don't do the rewire"
Thanks,
Dave
08-01-08: Martykl
The Exact is not only a good match, but it's a snap to install. However, it is IMHO a bit on the "dry" side.
There are so many factors in how a cartridge sounds in a given system, it's hard to characterize its sound without hearing it in different circumstances. Some magnetic carts are particularly picky about how much capacitance they see.

The reason I mention this is that when I heard an Exact on a P7, i would characterize is as detailed but lush. Not etched or bright, and anything but cold or analytical.

I don't at all dispute what you heard, but the shop I heard it a has specialized in UK audio components and and LP playback for decades. They evidently knew how to dial in that Exact and P7 and match it with the downstream cables and components.

In fact, they sound they got from that combo haunted me for weeks.
I have an Exact 2 on my P5/RB700, and after the break-in period, I have no complaints. It sounds great, especially compared to others at that price point - don't think you could do better for the money.
08-02-08: Learsfool
I have an Exact 2 on my P5/RB700, and after the break-in period, I have no complaints. It sounds great, especially compared to others at that price point - don't think you could do better for the money.
It doesn't have Rega's nifty 3-point mounting/alignment system, but at $259, IMO the Audio Technica AT150MLX is serious competition for the Exact, and unlike the Exact, you can replace the stylus for $179.95.

Still, I agree with you that once it's broken in, the Exact has a very musical, enjoyable presentation and is of course an ideal match with the RB series tonearms.
Johnny and Lears,

My Exact has been mounted on both a stock RB300 and a modified RB250 on tables from Acoustic Solid and Transrotor, respectively. In both cases I used the 3 point mount to set overhang. The phonostage is a Rhea which allows optimal loading which I made some effort to identify. I'm pretty confident that this set up was a very good fit for this cart, but that is not to say that it was, by any means, perfect. It was, however, the best I could do in my system, and that is probably more than most as the arms are a natural fit (both from Rega) and because the Rhea is unusually flexible in this regard.

IME the sound was on the "dry" side compared to 4 other carts I've used extensively over the past 3 years - The Graham Nightingale and Lyra Dorian which are both much more expensive than the Rega, and an unidentified OEM Ortofon HOMC that came with the TR table as well as a Clearaudio Wood. In my various set ups, the Rega was the most analytical sounding cart of the lot.

I want to note it is a good sounding unit. But I differ with both of your opinions on this one: For my taste, the Ortofon is a better value because the Rega was a bit too analytical. This is my taste and my experience - certainly not the last word on the subject because, as always, YMMV.

Marty

Bear in mind that by the time you approach your $1k limit on the cart, you'd probably be better off upgrading the table/arm.
Martykl, I don't dispute or doubt for a moment that you heard what you heard. I wrote what I wrote to indicate that although the Exact might be detailed and analytical to some, and in many situations, I heard it in a setup where it sounded detailed but lush. That doesn't mean it sounds predominantly lush, only that it *can* sound lush.
Johnny,

I hope I made it clear that my comments reflect only my own experience. I noted the details so that people would

A) have some context in which to evaluate my conclusions

and

B) make some determination as to whether they are likely to produce more desireable results in their application.

As to B, above,

My experience suggests that most folks will find that difficult, but - as your experience indicates - certainly not impossible.

Marty