Rega P5 Upgrade:TTPSU,Platter Or Subplatter?

I have read about Groovetracer acrylic platters and subplatter Reference being an upgrade to the stock ones in the P5. I've also read about better counterweights, one of them being Michell Tecnoweight to improve on the stock stainless steel counterweight on the P5.

Just out of curiousity, which upgrade below will yield the highest degree of sonic impact in chronological order?

1) Rega TT PSU
2) Groovetracer subplatter Reference
3) Groovetracer acrylic platter
4) Michell Tecnoweight counterweight
5) Clamp

Anybody tried an aftermarket acrylic platter on the P5?

Any opinions would be appreciated.
ryder

Showing 1 response by lance0955

I too own a P5 REGA and agree with some of the opinions, however I do not see much feedback concerning the cartridge being used by various people. I opted for the "EXACT" cartridge, largely due to the fact that it fell within my cost restrictions. I also spoke at length with the US distributor prior to purchase, which steered me toward the REGA cartridge. I had thought about going to a more sophisticated/expensive cartridge but found that the REGA arm goemetry is not well suited to using other brands of cartridges, though I know many people do. The thing the distributor warned me about was cartridge alignment. With the REGA cartridges the alignment is a "slam dunk". Unfortunately the REGA aligment protractor is not designed for other cartridges. Then comes a bit of a controversy as to which protractor will yield the best results. Also, there may be an issue of VTA with different cartridges, which REGA doesn't make much allowance for. So, I decided to try the "EXACT". I agree that the P5 is a very ggod table for the price point. The "EXACT" has proven to be a "GOOD", but not "GREAT" cartridge. Took a couple of hundred hours of break in, to really notice a sonic difference. Even then my only discontent has to do with complex orchestral recordings. There is always a sense of "stridency" in the high frequencies; especially acoustic instruments such as violins. I have read a great deal about the reported character of the EXACT and the higher priced MC cartridge above that. The reviews seem to agree that even though they feel that the "high priced MC cartridge" is in a class by itself, they also agree that both the EXACT and the "high priced cartridge"(I forgot the name) share this slightly strident character in reproducing high frequencies, even on the finest, pristine recordings. I actually went to the trouble of borrowing a different brand table with a ORTOFON "KONTRAPUNKT "C" installed. "OUCH" - - - what a difference. All of the congested, veiled and strident character dissappeared. Now this is what fine vinyl recordings are supposed to sound like. Unfortunately, the table/cartridge package, was (4) times the cost of my P5 set up.

I have heard the P5/P7 tables side by side, and frankly the sonic improvement, to me, is too slight to justify the cost differential. So, I agree ! Get the TTPSU if you don't already have it and live with it, until you can afford to go up to the "big time". I think you have better have a 1000 record + collection to justify, the "big time". The P5 is a good package, and the P7 is slightly better, but they have their limitations. Be sure you or a dealer knows what they are doing before attempting to retrofit a different brand of cartridge. The distributor "REALLY" doesn't recomment it.