Rega P10 v Complete rebuild Garrard 401!

I currently have a Rega P3 that I’m generally happy with, but looking to upgrade and I’m in two minds.  Go old school with Garrard 401 or keep with new tech and get a P10.  Both are well regarded and there are plenty of individual reviews.  However I’ve not been able to find a comparative analysis (not really expecting to) so i thought i would ask here.  It would be paired with a Line Magnetic 508ia tub amp and Harbeth HL5 plus speakers.  
I listen to a wide range of music, from classic jazz, funk, soul and classic rock but admittedly i spend the majority of my vinyl time listening to thinks like Bowie, the Smiths, New Order, A Certain Ratio, Chameleons or similar.  
Any counsel?   
gunners01
I am going for it. I’ve found an early model 401 (22k sn, flat light cover) in great shape. Getting it properly rebuilt, painted and set up with DAC piano black layered machined plinth. Schick 12” tonearm, two Schick graphite headshells, Hana mono and stereo cartridges, Seperate 301 power supply.

Now the question is what to put between it and my Klipch Forte III speakers. I’ve recently acquired a Modwright ph 9.0 phono amp and I still have my Croft acoustics micro 25 preamp and series 7 amp. Bypassing the built in mm Croft phono stage, the ph 9.0 takes it to another level by far. Still tinkering with that, but not sure if it’s a mismatch with the Croft system. Would appreciate any advice there. I’m going for the tube sound.

good to know there are other enthusiasts in DFW! Thanks.
Oh, hey. Thanks for the response @noromance!@noromance!

Interesting you should ask. I upgraded both the amp and preamp right after I bought them to telefunken 12AX7’s. Got them from VTS in Michigan. Says “perfect mirror matched”. Even came in the original packaging from 69’. The modwright also has the upgraded tubes, the Sovtek’s and GE 6DJ8.

The issue I’m having is that even on the lowest volume setting it’s really loud, even with the gain setting on low on the phono amp. That’s what I meant by “mismatch”.
I’m wondering if my cartridge is the problem. I’m using a Clearaudio Maestro 2 which I believe is a high output cartridge. Other than the volume issue it sounds great with the Modwright.