Rega Brio R bright???

Hello,

I have a Rega Brio R on home demo with a pair of exites X12 and a RDAC. But i find that it sounds bright. I saw two topics with the same issues. The majority of the reviews/impressions say that this amp is all but bright. Didn't found an answer yet. I tried other sources but the problem remains.

Tomarrow i wil post a review about the sound and feel of the amp.

Do you guys have tips or ideas on what to do next?
iaudio1987

Showing 8 responses by iaudio1987

Ok, so i have to decide if i want to buy this amp. I feel a slight doubt about the highs but i've auditioned so many amps already and it does so many things right. Maybe i should give the NAD c326bee al listen en then decide....
Review of the Rega Brio-R

I promised to put up a review of the Rega Brio-R so here it is. The equipment the I use to demo the Rega with is the Arcam RDAC, Dynaudio Excite X12 speakers and of course the Brio-R. I am not good at writing long reviews and English is not my native language so I try to keep grammar mistakes to a minimum.

When you unpack the Brio the first thing you notice is it's size, it's very small with all the necessary inputs on the back (five line inputs and the phono output, and of course the speaker terminals). There is no headphone output witch I could live with, but I can understand that you need one.

Now the most important part of the review: Sound Quality. The amp has a detailed sound, I heard things that weren't there before most noticeable on the Unplugged CD of Eric Clapton. The amp is not forgiving of bad recorded material, but I guess that is part of moving up the amp-ladder. Also I found that when playing records that the sound is bright not harsh, but bright. For people that like that kind of sound this amp is a must listen. Voices have a strange quality that I cannot put in to words and are very expressive, maybe it's the combo of Arcam and Rega, but i've heard better. Bass is exactly right for me with a tight and defined presentation.
Its a pain in the ass to choose a amp for my speakers. I do not have that problem with headphones.

I've had a lot of amps on demo, Arcam A28: too analytical
Marantz: too boring. Rotel ra1520: very good amp, but bass was too overwhelming at home (not at the store)

What i want is a amp witch is musical above all. If an amp is detailed, but not musical, i'll pass
Well, People Recommend the following:

Rotel = to bassy in my room, if the nad is no good, i will buy this one
Arcam = To analytical
Exposure = not avalible in my region
Creek = no home demo possible
nad = need to demo @ home