Rega Apollo vs Naim CD5i vs Arcam CD73T

Anyone compared these? I'm looking for a good CDP and I would like to stay around a grand or less if possible, but if there is significantly better performance to be had I can go as high as $1500, which is about what I can get the Naim for.

I've been using the digital outputs from my DVDP's (both suck with RB CD's)to my Arcam AVP-700 and it does a nice job, but I'm thinking a good stand alone player in a direct mode through the analog inputs might be better.

Comments, suggestions, recommendations please.
jack_dotson

Showing 2 responses by wireless200

I've listened to higher-end Naim's and the Apollo and there's a difference. The Naim seemed to have a bit more articulation with the upper frequencies and the silences were quieter. I was listening to one of their high-end ones with separate power supply.

The Apollo sounded very good to me. People often use the phrase laid-back to describe it and I'd agree with that characterization. I bought the Apollo and honestly I'm tickled pink. I love the sound. It was a huge upgrade over what I was using. I just finished listening to Rachmaninoff and was pure bliss. I just sat there and relaxed like I hadn't in a long time listening to music.

At this moment I'm a big Rega fan. BTW they're amps have the same sort of sound.

Arcam CDP I'm not sure about. I've A/B'ed their amps and they're a bit too "left brain" for me. By that I mean the sound is very clear, detailed, and definitive but lacks warmth. As an engineer I appreciate what they're doing but as a music fan, I'm not that thrilled with the sound.
Jack, what do 5i's run? I heard the 5x and the S3. I think the dealer wanted $1700 for the entry level 5x which was a good bit more than the Apollo and a bit more than I was wanting to pay for the difference in sound. Plus I listened to it with the separate PS which would have just been more.

The 5x didn't really blow me away but but S3 was part of a complete high-end Naim system - monoblocks and power supplies everywhere. The high-end system - the guy must have had $60k in it - just blew me away. I won't forget how good it sounded for a very long time if ever. Of course my budget was nowhere near that. But it was nice to establish a reference memory.