Rega Apollo vs. Cambridge Audio Azur 840c

Seems like the new Cambridge Audio Azur 840c is the new kid on the block.

I'd like to here your feedback on these 2 highly rated cdps. Has anyone made comparisons?
128x128mjcmt

Showing 3 responses by mdrummer01

I just bought the 840C a few days ago...it is at about 75 hours of running time thus far. My 'reference' CDP is the Jolida 100 with a level II modification. In my A-B comparisions so far, I'd say the 840C has a titch more detail, though the more analog smoothness of the Jolida impresses me as easier to listen to over an extended period of time. I've been using the Audience AU-24 ICs for comparing, though my IC of choice is the Acoustic Zen Ref Mattrix II. Plenty of options to tweak going forward. I have had an Apollo in for trial one weekend...and I couldn't tell the difference between that and the Jolida, though I prefer the Jolida because of front loading, (perceived) build quality and a damn good headphone jack built in. Hope this helps.
Smargo: Looking forward to that mark...you think 200 hours is the rite of passage for this model?
I'm getting a little ways off the thread so foregive me for this brief diversion. Smargo: What's your take on the dither function on the 840C? I'm relatively new to this hobby, and I think I understand the 'trade off" between to dither (more detail) vs. not to dither (blacker background.) I'm hesitant try it at this point...until it is more or less broken in. Any one with experience with his or her dither is welcome to chime in.