Refinishing Yamaha NSM-1000's

I have a pair of NSM-1000's that need the tops refinished. I've never tried to re-do a black finish before so I thought I'd ask to see if anyone out there that has already done it. I want to try to do just the top surface, not strip the whole speaker cab. Any help is appreciated!
tubehd

Showing 1 response by kkurtis

A relatively easy task. They make veneer's out of many types of wood, to get the idea, think of what is called a "door skin." It is a roled up sheet of a veneer of your choise that is then contact cemented to a door which gives you a "real wood" surface to finish as you choose. My guess would be maple to match the 1000's. I'm sure you can go online for instructions. Once in place, experiment with different spray paints, probably satin black to get a match your like.

While you're at it, get yourself some silver wire and replace the internal wiring and the speaker binding posts.
Really helps tame the hot highs of the berilium domes. I can help you with this if you are interested.

I did a pair for a friend that had fallen out of a truck in oak veneer with a satin finish and they were incredible.

Denny
989-673-8493