Refined SS Stereo pwr amps under 10K?

I looking to upgrade from my ARC DS225. considering an Ayre VX-5, what other SS amps under 10k (list price) would provide me great harmonic detail, drive, strong tonal balance and hear deep into the music layers? Yup,I know I'm asking a lot.

The System: Bel Canto DAC3.5MKII with ref power supply and Ref USbB to Spdif converter,(3 separate chassis) via AudioQuest Diamond USB cable, Wireworld Platinum 7 XLR to ML326s Wireworld Platinum 7 XLR to Audio Research DS225, Audience AU24SE speaker cables to Magnepan 3.7i Wired with Synergistic research and Nordost power cords ran to custom power strip incorporating 3 Furutech GTX-D duplexs and one Defender conditioner to a VooDoo power cord to a wall outlet GTX-D
So where do I go to upgrade from the ARC DS225 amp?
Thanks

Showing 2 responses by zd542

One VX-5 is a great choice. Two is even better. A Theta Dreadnaught is another excellent choice. But if you really want your system to open up, get rid of the ML326 first and replace it with something like an Ayre or Aesthetix. Its a great preamp, but it won't allow you to fully hear what a new amp(s) can do. As long as you are not underpowered, a preamp upgrade should make a much bigger improvement in SQ than a new amp.
"09-13-14: 5560
For reasons too lengthy to describe, I cannot do monos, so I'm looking for a stereo amp. I've always read that Spectral amps require proprietary cables, odd input impedance matching such and they don't play well others so to speak."

If you can't use mono amps due to space issues, the Theta amp I mentioned in my first post is multichannel. As long as your speakers have 2 sets of binding posts, you can use 4 channels on it. I mentioned it because you brought up the Ayre V-5. The Theta Deradnaught and the Ayre are designed by the same person. I think the V-5 sounds a little better, but the Theta is a bit more powerful. I use the Ayre myself, so I'm pretty familiar with it. That said, looking at your system, I still feel a new preamp would make for a better upgrade. But that's just my personal opinion.

What is it about your ARC that makes you want to upgrade that component, as opposed to another? You'll probably get better recommendations if you provide more details about it.