Reference level DAC + Streamer

Hi everyone,

Let me see what you guys consider some of the best and most musical DAC + streaming option in the $30K price range.
I have my own idea but let's see what you guys prefer if you had that budget.
128x128thieliste
Thieliste, we sell the Light Harmonic Davinci most analog sounding dac we have ever heard, havent' compared it to the Formula, 

We do have the Aquahifi Lascala and it is excellent, if the Formula is a lot better than the Lascala then it is a truly formidable machine.

Troy
Audio Doctor
www.audiodoctor.com old website new site coming soon
877 428 2873

@mikelavigne Mike, could you please send me your thoughts on those two DACs?  Those are the exact 2 DACs I've been heavily considering and I would love your thoughts as I try to arrange demos.  Thanks so much!
hello Jay,

my above post is now a year old, so things have changed in my system. last June i moved on to the MSB Select II (33 Femto clock and 2 power supplies). but the MSB is not really a direct competitor for either of those dacs, although they are not as far away performance-wise as the price might indicate. 

all that said, i continue to have great respect for both the Lampi GG and the Aqua Formula dac. my preference a year ago for the Formula over the GG had mostly to do with it's attributes being more synergistic with my system and personal preferences, than any lacking in the GG. my system exposes any sort of artifact as such, and rewards linearity, detail and refinement. the Formula also was a solid state dac with a full weighty mid range and plenty of tonal density. the GG was wonderful and beautiful to listen to and of course, you could roll the tubes to flavor the sound to your liking, but it would bring it's own sound signature to everything, whereas my preference is for the gear to not impose any sameness. 

so this is a case, not of better or worse, but what fits a system.

i see you have vinyl, and tube amplifiers. i owned the Thoress Phono Enhancer briefly and love their stuff. it depends on what sort of sound you want from a dac. both would fit in your system, but differently. 

also; the Aqua Formula is modular, and had an upgrade recently, although i've not heard that upgrade. and Lamplizator is famous for lots of upgradability. so either dac would be highly recommended by me.

and btw; if you get the GG i still have a bunch of great tubes from my Lampi days i would give someone a screaming deal on. and these are mostly barely used. tube rolling is part of the fun.

good luck.

Ha, thanks Mike.  I guess it's no longer 2017, huh?  i think I need some new glasses as I've responded to a number of old threads this last year.

Appreciate your response!  I suspected they might have their differences given the topologies.  Going to start w/ a demo of the upgraded Formula and go from there...my pre and amps are tubed (Atma-Sphere MP1 and Audion Golden Dream monos) and I'm loving the SS Schiit Yggy in the front...wondered if the GG might be too much of a good thing with all those tubes, too (can you have too many?!?).  I know they are both phenomenal DACs regardless, and thank you for your recommendations.   Thanks again.

You need to decide if you want to go with XMOS USB technology or the newer Ethernet technology for input to the DAC.

If USB, then it makes sense to spend a lot on a server, like Antipodes or Aurender N10 etc.. These are optimized for good sound quality with USB.

If Ethernet, you can achieve even better audio quality using a MacBook pro or a Mini running Jriver. You can also run other servers on the Mac like Minimserver. You can alternately use a lower-cost server like Bluesound. Because you don’t need an expensive server, you can afford to get a better DAC, better cables and maybe even a Plasmatron AC voltage regulator.

I would highly recommend Ethernet input interface and Balanced analog outputs. If you get a DAC with a good volume technology, then go direct to amps and forget the preamp. Here is one with good volume technology:

https://www.audiostream.com/content/empirical-audio-overdrive-sx-ethernet-dacpre

If you want a REALLY low noise floor, make sure everything is galvanically isolated to break all of the ground-loops. Ethernet takes care of that. For USB, you need to make sure the interface is isolated. For analog outs use this:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/final-drive

Also, consider whether you are happy with R2R DAC and 24/96 PCM or do you need 24/192, MQA and DSD playback.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio