Reference disc player...UDP 205 or Marantz?

Hey guys....
I've decided to take the plunge, and get my last reference disc player--at least for a very long time--and I'm looking for opinions on the subject.
I really wanted to get the Marantz SA-14S1, it sounds fantastic for sure, but I started to read all the glowing reviews on the Oppo UDP-205. Is it just hype, or the real thing? Is the Oppo really that rare piece of equipment that punches that far above its price? Who here has listened to the oppo and/or the Marantz? How do they compare? 
Thanks! 
jonasandezekiel
@Jafant, "I was disappointed w/ the Oppo 105D after reading so many glowing reviews. No matter if the source was a MacBook in streaming mode or shiny silver discs. I can say that if one is looking for a one-box solution-this is it."
I dont understand, did you mean to say that "I was NOT disappointed ... "?
( IMO that would make more sense in the context)

Anyway .... Someone have mentioned this, but I would have to take back everything I said above IF THE OPPO HAD THE FULL MODWRIGHT TUBE MODS. http://www.modwright.com/index.php#

I mean, in tube-modded form and PSU, the Oppo is a Beast. I think the tube mods and external Power Supply runs $1750 for the ’95 and $2500 for the 105 and 205. I can be critical with Oppo, but they do provide a piece of audio that can act as a raw material or score to be modded and interpreted by 3rd parties ... e.g. Modwright.
So a new Oppo 205 with Modwright mods will run about $3800+ tax/ship. That would be a great, long-lasting investment.

Last, OP may want to look for a used Electrocampianet multi disc player. When I sold the Oppo and was looking for a multi disc player that could get me a level higher in my audio chain, but not at the $2500 range that I could not afford at the time. I forget the Electrocampianet model, but it is basically, if I recall correctly, almost just like the Oppo 95 but just more robust all the way around in its hardware and SQ.
[But again, to be fair to Oppo, they really have created some great break through products in terms of quality at a humble price point, and very good value with the 95/105/205 series]

Sure- 1graber2

I did not find the 105D musical to my ears. This was the disappointment factor. I will report that those who bought the player and sent it to ModWright  found it much more musical than stock form.

Happy Listening!

I had a Marantz DV 9600 modified by Underwood HiFi and I really loved it. I borrowed an Oppo 105 and connected it via XLR's and sold the Marantz and bought a 105. I wonder if the 205 sounds better?

jonasandezekiel

where are you on purchasing a player? Which one(s) have you auditioned?

Happy Listening!

Jafant

Nothing yet.... although I just test-drove the marantz. It was just ok for me. I wasn’t as bowled over as I expected.

Although, I also JUST received my tax return. Dangerous.