Reference disc player...UDP 205 or Marantz?

Hey guys....
I've decided to take the plunge, and get my last reference disc player--at least for a very long time--and I'm looking for opinions on the subject.
I really wanted to get the Marantz SA-14S1, it sounds fantastic for sure, but I started to read all the glowing reviews on the Oppo UDP-205. Is it just hype, or the real thing? Is the Oppo really that rare piece of equipment that punches that far above its price? Who here has listened to the oppo and/or the Marantz? How do they compare? 
Thanks! 
jonasandezekiel
@rnrmf1971 

Thanks so much for your response.  I too prefer a richer, more musical, especially a smoothness of texture music through my system.

Perhaps tube rolling may have helped a bit.  I found the included Jan/Phillips tubes in my modded player to have a hardness about them.  I prefer the NOS Tung-Sols I am currently using.  Also, as you observed, your cables at that time were on the brighter side and may, therefore, not have produced an enjoyable resulting sound.

The good news is that it seems like you have worked your way toward a more musically satisfying system now.
@rnrmf1971 

Thanks so much for your response.  I too prefer a richer, more musical, especially a smoothness of texture music through my system.

Perhaps tube rolling may have helped a bit.  I found the included Jan/Phillips tubes in my modded player to have a hardness about them.  I prefer the NOS Tung-Sols I am currently using.  Also, as you observed, your cables at that time were on the brighter side and may, therefore, not have produced an enjoyable resulting sound.

The good news is that it seems like you have worked your way toward a more musically satisfying system now.
@hifiman5 
I tube rolled a bit. I got the best tubes that Modwright offered and bought some NOS that Modwright recommeneded from Upscale Audio.
Something just didn't gel despite things seeming like they should line up, on paper.
I bit the bullet, changed almost everything, went solid state, and for the time being, I'm pretty damn happy with the sound I hear. Thanks.

The Oppo 105 sounded great when I got it and I lived quite happily with it.  Then I got a chance to hear the Mytek Manhatten, which used the same ESS Sabre chips as the Oppo, and I was blown away.  Otoh, the Mytek costs several times what the Oppo went for so it damn well better be an upgrade.  I also wanted to be able to play DSD, which the Oppo couldn’t do...not sure that applies to the 205, though.
  So I scrimped and bought a demo Mytek and after a year I began wanting a DAC that could play my copious collection of SACDS.  I bought the Bryston and thought I would sell the Mytek.  But...can’t bear to part with the Mytek.  I will live on Franks and beans for a while.
  I use the Oppo for downloads as well, having the screen makes it easy to navigate usb sticks.
i would by the Oppo and not mess with the Marantz.  It sounds better and has better functionality 
Mahler123...
Thanks. I always thought the 105 played DSD, but I’m sure the 205 does at least.

Many options here, but it seems that most that have the oppo really love it. And it's amazing the level of animus, or love for that matter, that a few on here have for marantz.