Reference disc player...UDP 205 or Marantz?

Hey guys....
I've decided to take the plunge, and get my last reference disc player--at least for a very long time--and I'm looking for opinions on the subject.
I really wanted to get the Marantz SA-14S1, it sounds fantastic for sure, but I started to read all the glowing reviews on the Oppo UDP-205. Is it just hype, or the real thing? Is the Oppo really that rare piece of equipment that punches that far above its price? Who here has listened to the oppo and/or the Marantz? How do they compare? 
Thanks! 
jonasandezekiel
You may be right. And I do plan to start streaming sometime soon. Which is another reason why I liked the marantz...it has the dac for streaming. 

I've read some really good reviews on the marantz, AND the Oppo.
Mahler123, so you didn't like the marantz, but you're using the oppo only as a transport. How did it sound using its own dac? They have the top (is it cirrus?) dac made. That wasn't to your liking?
Thanks.
Jonasan.... if you are after musicality, go for the Dynastation Dynavox mk3, if you are into 24/192 & Sacd, get the new Ayon Sacd player.    The Dynastation Mk3 IMHO outperform 40k LP Set up.   Do a search and you be shock that it ranks one of the top 5 cd player.  Happy Listening! 

I'd suggest you buy a very good DAC and skip the disk spinner all together. I know i'm jumping in on a thread but I think now is the time to ditch the Disk spinners and get a storage device as you are upgrading anyway, lets say something like the Blue sound vault 2, or  a NAS and a streamer then this to a quality DAC. I did this last year and I'm so happy guys here suggested this to me. after the load of the digital format onto the Vault it now becomes so much easier to play, sort, explore my digital media. Add to it the Tidal ( Roon too if your streamer supports) and you have a one stop place to explore your music and Tidal  all from your listening position via a tablet or smart phone. I think you can also get potentially better sound as you can use what ever DAC you like and upgrade just the DAC when you need to.

Anyway just a suggestion as now would be the time when your about to upgrade.

onasandezekiel OP40 posts

'Quote'
Ps68....I’m so glad you have it like that, to turn your nose up at a 2500.00 player! This commoner can’t do any better, SO YES, it IS reference for me!
I was actually asking for advice, not elitist posturing.

More power to you though.

'Unquote'

You asked which is the reference disc player, simple answer is neither. If you had have asked which people would recomend for your budget no doubt you would have received different answers. It is not about elitism.

Good luck with your search though.