Reference disc player...UDP 205 or Marantz?

Hey guys....
I've decided to take the plunge, and get my last reference disc player--at least for a very long time--and I'm looking for opinions on the subject.
I really wanted to get the Marantz SA-14S1, it sounds fantastic for sure, but I started to read all the glowing reviews on the Oppo UDP-205. Is it just hype, or the real thing? Is the Oppo really that rare piece of equipment that punches that far above its price? Who here has listened to the oppo and/or the Marantz? How do they compare? 
Thanks! 
jonasandezekiel
@jonasandezekielI am an Oppo 105 owner and have been for five years; basically since it was released. So, I may be biased.

I heard the exact Marantz player you make mention of. It was in a system of Luxman 590AX II integrated, Marten Django L speakers, Frey wiring, and set up well (a little over $20K). The Marantz was definitely the weak link in that system. It was switched out for a Luxman D-o6u. It was definitely much better but still not lively enough for my taste. Though the Marantz is $2,500, it is not reference by a very long shot. Not trying to be disrespectful.

I've owned a few Marantz players and what was mentioned above I find resonates with me: the Marantz players are smooth sounding but roll of the sound up top. For me, that is a deal breaker.

Best of luck in your search.
I have been listening to a Musical Fidelity M6CD player for the past couple of years on some decent CJ monoblocks and ET5 preamp.  I just picked up an Oppo 105D withe the ModWright upgrades and it's among the best CD players i have ever heard.  Way better than the $6,000 Luxman, way better than the Musical Fidelity. $2,000 for a good used one, with upgraded tubes in the power supply and the unit itself.

I work hard to get really good value, and i don't think I'll be swapping out CD players again anytime soon.

Trust your ears.
Pokey...when I say"reference player" I don’t mean something costing ten grand, with a high snob factor, even though it certainly could be a player like that. Reference, the way I have always understood it to mean is WHATEVER a person can afford, that they enjoy, that they use as their go-to player to evaluate music, i.e. MY reference. It can be a 300 dollar player or a 30k one. It's that your experience as well?

No offense intended of course. I appreciate the advice.
Shadorne...yeah, its called their REFERENCE line.
I was asking for comparisons and advice. I'm not interested in arrogance. By the way...the Marantz 14s1 is part of their reference line in case you didn't know.