Reference disc player...UDP 205 or Marantz?

Hey guys....
I've decided to take the plunge, and get my last reference disc player--at least for a very long time--and I'm looking for opinions on the subject.
I really wanted to get the Marantz SA-14S1, it sounds fantastic for sure, but I started to read all the glowing reviews on the Oppo UDP-205. Is it just hype, or the real thing? Is the Oppo really that rare piece of equipment that punches that far above its price? Who here has listened to the oppo and/or the Marantz? How do they compare? 
Thanks! 
jonasandezekiel

Showing 3 responses by shadorne

You got to be kidding Marantz SA-14S1 a reference player ????

It doesn't even have balanced outputs!!!!!

Could this be part of the new cheaper line of recent Marantz products that just carry the logo badge but don't have the high quality parts inside. I looked inside one of their newer power amps and was shocked to find an ordinary E transformer - no toroid!!!

Be careful ... there is Marantz and then there is MARANTZ....
@jonasandezekiel

I repeat - it doesn’t even have balanced output. Not being arrogant but just trying to warn you away from something that is absolutely NOT reference grade.

If you are open to other suggestions then check the Stereophile Class A and A+ list!!

Surprise surprise - the Oppo BDP 105D and the Oppo BDP-103 are both in Class A list but Marantz isn’t mentioned. Marantz was American then Japanese and now owned again by American private equity group that before owned Polk and DefTech speakers and have added Denon and Marantz recently - this brand is going Best Buy style. The brand name will be used to mass market.
Frankly I wouldn't buy a disc player these days. I'd go PC to a Class A or A+ DAC. Burn your collection to a hardrive and get a Tidal subscription. 

For movies, I have an ultra UHD 4K bluray player but the number of available movies to buy are just a handful. It gathers dust!

I think discs are out and streaming is the future for digital music and movies.