Reference disc player...UDP 205 or Marantz?

Hey guys....
I've decided to take the plunge, and get my last reference disc player--at least for a very long time--and I'm looking for opinions on the subject.
I really wanted to get the Marantz SA-14S1, it sounds fantastic for sure, but I started to read all the glowing reviews on the Oppo UDP-205. Is it just hype, or the real thing? Is the Oppo really that rare piece of equipment that punches that far above its price? Who here has listened to the oppo and/or the Marantz? How do they compare? 
Thanks! 
jonasandezekiel

Showing 6 responses by milpai

My b.s. detector is always turned on when I read glowing review after glowing review of a product like the Oppo. How can something that is relatively inexpensive do everything so well, to the level of a true high end disc player, like the Marantz? I think people can become influenced by the never ending hype around it, and not think as critically as they normally would.

The marantz is designed to do one thing well, not walk the dog and do the laundry too. And, they've been making great disc players for decades.

It looks like your are posting a question and then answering your own posts :-)
@ jonasandezekiel,
Why don't you try the Oppo 205? If you don't like it, you can return it and go with the Marantz.
@jafant ,
You have been chasing the Marantz for quite a few months and that too on various forums. I have listened to the Marantz SA-10 at a dealer and it sounded pretty good. I heard no rolled off treble, like some people describe Marantz. But it was a system that I was not familiar with.
Eventually I have settled on the Oppo 205. From AudioAsylum, you know how "Dibeliever" hates this player for being very bright harsh. His ears must be super sensitive, because in my system, the Oppo is anything but bright. In fact I would have taken a bit more bright - just the way it was in the initial days. This is a smooth player. What you should do is get the Oppo and take it to a Marantz dealer and compare side-by-side. If you are in Chicgo area, then you could visit Music Direct and they can help you.
@vahes,
What are PCM SACDs? I think you are confusing with either of the following:
1. SACD has a CD layer
OR
2. Original recording was in PCM that was converted to DSD for SACD.

In either case the player will ALWAYS play the SACD layer, when a SACD is inserted. But, say, if you inserted a CD or a Bluray, then the player will automatically recognize the PCM data, since DSD data was not detected, and play appropriately. You don't have to manually do anything.
I have defaulted my SACD to stereo and the player does fine.
Enjoy your player and most importantly, the music!
Certain classical labels offer SACD’s with their Hi-Rez stereo layer in PCM, BIS Records is one such label.

I have not heard of such SACDs. So will look for others to contribute and help you out.
@rnrmf1971 ,
I agree with you. There is no such SACD disc that has hi-rez PCM.