Reference disc player...UDP 205 or Marantz?

Hey guys....
I've decided to take the plunge, and get my last reference disc player--at least for a very long time--and I'm looking for opinions on the subject.
I really wanted to get the Marantz SA-14S1, it sounds fantastic for sure, but I started to read all the glowing reviews on the Oppo UDP-205. Is it just hype, or the real thing? Is the Oppo really that rare piece of equipment that punches that far above its price? Who here has listened to the oppo and/or the Marantz? How do they compare? 
Thanks! 
jonasandezekiel

Showing 6 responses by gdhal

Regardless, and this bears repeating, if in any way shape or form you begin to introduce video into the equation, the Oppo UDP-205 is instantly transformed into an absolute necessity, irrespective of any other components.
I don't think I can afford the Oppo mod, because it will end up costing about 3700.00 total, and I can't justify that.
Don't forget the month or more it takes to do the mod and you're without the Oppo, the voided Oppo warranty, plus the possibility the mod goes awry.
....Money doesn't necessarily get you better sound and to that end, no matter who reviews what, trust your own ears above all.....

.....It takes a great palate to find a truly stunning bottle of wine at a sane price.....

+1

Although, money doesn't necessarily get you worse sound either.

Unfortunately, often is the case that money must at least be "fronted" in order to have an opportunity to trust your own ears.
@tomcarr - when you get it (I am sure I put this explanation farther up the thread...but I'll summarize again): back the output volume off in the settings to something else than 100%. I really thought it was harsh at 100. I have mine set at 90%. Break-In/Warm-up/whatever you want to call it 'was real' in this box. Definitely filled out the sound after a few hours. I supposed some fancy pink noise disc would probably be the best for that purpose. I used Beethoven's 9th symphony, on repeat, for a couple days (mostly because I wasn't there to listen to it). I wish I could say the 5 or so digital filters (really, DAC processing algorithms) were drastically different...they seem extremely slight to me. I'm still 'playing' with the different ones. The 205 has been out long enough now (I got it in May?) that I bet there are plenty of opinions on the 'net on which one is best. I'll probably just pick one that "people like" and live with it for a while.
Enjoy!!

Just a heads up that when the UDP-205 was first released, each volume step off 100 equated to 1 db. A relatively recent firmware update modified that to .5 db per volume step.

As to the DAC filter setting, general consensus is that the default - mini phase fast - is "best". Of course this is merely a preference so YMMV.

Additionally, in my comparison with Sony’s ability to play the 4K movies vs oppo, the oppo udp-205 had slightly better movie image but could not justify the price tag vs the cheaper sony 4k (UBP‑X800 player $149 BF deal down from $299).

Oppo UDP-205 could definitely justify the price difference.

Fact be told that video - just like audio - is an expensive hobby where subtle, marginal and incremental gains are indeed expensive.

I agree with your audio appraisal that it’s versatile but master of none (albeit it is no slouch in the audio department) but as far as video is concerned really nothing even remotely close to its price tag can beat it. Combine its video performance with very good (and in some circles extremely good) audio and the overall effectiveness is such that from a value perspective its impossible to beat (currently and in today’s market). If you’re happy/content with the $149 player that’s fine too.
....I am confused, I would not touch UDP-205 if it only down mixes the multi channel layer of SACD for stereo playback.
Yes, I think you may be confused.

I don't see (in the manual) any restriction about SACD, other than "Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial/optical audio output..." So if you use the analog or HDMI output I believe you can play the multi channel layer of SACD.  Call Oppo tech support and ask.