Reference disc player...UDP 205 or Marantz?

Hey guys....
I've decided to take the plunge, and get my last reference disc player--at least for a very long time--and I'm looking for opinions on the subject.
I really wanted to get the Marantz SA-14S1, it sounds fantastic for sure, but I started to read all the glowing reviews on the Oppo UDP-205. Is it just hype, or the real thing? Is the Oppo really that rare piece of equipment that punches that far above its price? Who here has listened to the oppo and/or the Marantz? How do they compare? 
Thanks! 
jonasandezekiel

Showing 1 response by andyz

I have a bdp105d with EVS mods on the 2 channel board and the sound is outstanding. The original unmodded unit sounds quite good for the price, but I eventually wanted better articulate bass and clarity throughout. The mod did just that. I also have an Audio Note 3.1 balanced tube dac that sounds better than the modded Oppo, but not by much. I have never heard the Marantz, but, for my money, I would go for the Oppo in home audition, and make your decision. The EVS mod was $700, which was a great price. I don’t know if Ric at EVS is modding the 205 though.
I have no, nor have I ever had any affiliation with Oppo, EVS or Marantz.