Posting this as both a thank you to Mr. Tash and as information for anyone who’s contemplating upgrading their Reference 3A’s. I just received back my Royal Virtuoso monitors with every viable upgrade option and what I have here before me is a VAST improvement over the original. I’m running them 24/7 to break in, the beryllium tweeter is pretty badass, superb definition with apparently zero fatigue. Communication was good and turnaround time was about 2 weeks after all the options were decided. Bonus points to Tash for tolerating my relentless questions. Exemplary customer service from Divergent Technologies, I couldn’t be more satisfied.
Here’s the work order:
- Larger bucking-magnets added to the existing magnets.
- Solid Delrin acoustic lenses are installed to the core of the driver magnet.
- New set of multiple KPM polypropylene capacitors in parallel, with a Mundorf oil and small Teflon by pass capacitors installed.
This replaces existing old paper in oil capacitors (also excellent but a little too slow for the new beryllium dome tweeters).
- Heavy steel tension rods are installed across the cabinet and new more effective acoustic materials added inside.
- Gold plated copper binding posts are installed replacing the old connectors.
- Beryllium dome tweeters with microfiber textile material clad flanges installed.
- New shorting jumpers made of 7Ns pure OCC copper/Teflon conductor will be supplied.
- Soft brass screws are used for mounting the drivers.
- Rearranged the mechanical grounding of the main drivers to accommodate the bucking magnets.
- Special heavy gauge OFC Litz and thiner pure 7Ns copper OCC/Teflon tweeter wires are used to rewire the speakers.
- Damaged speaker grill repaired inc new fabric.