Reference 3a mm de capo vs. ProAc Response 2

So here's the conundrum. I've got a Fisher 500c- 35 watts of vintage tube power (with several mods done to it-namely updated power supply and signal path) and currently have a pair of Vandersteen 2ce's. Not the best match, due to the Vandy's moderate efficiency, though still nice. Not especially dynamic and a bit congested on the frequency extremes.
So in search of a better speaker to match the Fisher, I've done lots of research on Reference 3A's and Proacs, which I'm told both work well with tubes.

So please, have any of you listened to both of the speakers in the title? If so, how would you characterize their strengths and weaknesses? Which did YOU prefer and why?
As for my tastes, I enjoy old school R&B, 50s-60s jazz, classic rock, some pop, bluegrass, reggae, folk. Not really concerned about classical. And my source is an Eastern Electric MiniMax CDP. No vinyl (yet).

Thanks a bunch for your valued opinions! Lincoln

PS- yes I'm working hard to arrange a listen to both of them myself, but Tucson, AZ, is a bit removed from lesser known brands. :)
lincnabby

Showing 1 response by clockmeister714

I had the Response D2's and the MM De Capo I in my listening room at the same time. Mac MC275 mkV amp.

I sold the ProAcs and kept the 3A's. It was not even close. Much more air and realism (and better bass) from the 3A's. Stunning imaging as they truly disappeared. I had wanted the Proac Response 2 since reading the Greenberg article oh so long ago. I enjoyed them very much -- until I heard the 3A's.

BTW, I used the same four post Sound Anchor stands with each speaker set. Sound Anchors are very, very worth the money.