REFERENCE 3A De Capo BE

What's been your experience with the  REFERENCE 3A De Capo BE?

Interesting speaker. No crossover. I'd like to hear how they actually work in the field.

~Jim
128x128jimspov
jimprov

I have owned the de Capo's. I never took them out into the field to listen so no comment on that listening experience.

I'm late to the party, as usual, but as a owner of a pair of MM deCapo BEs I wanted to make a comment. I bought mine new in May 2017. They are gloss piano black with the beryllium tweeters. I bought the adjustable stands too. At first listen, I thought I made a mistake. They sounded bright and bass-shy. But with time, the bass filled in nicely and the highs mellowed out. And I feel no need for a sub. Initially I drove them with a class A, 20WPC First Watt J2, now I drive them with a pair of class D 200WPC Cherry Amp. I feel these are speakers that will pair well with tubes or solids. In the end, I am a happy camper.
I have been listening to the Decapo-i for ever since they were offered and the Vtl tiny triodes at 35 watts a side in triodes mode.What a great speaker amp combo.Their is as was mentioned a realism to the speakers that defies the mediocre speaker frequencies response graph.Proving among many other factors that specs don't tell the whole story.I will be selling my system in about a years time before I move to Mexico so keep an eye out for my sale on Audiogon.
I've had a pair of MM DeCapo-i speakers since 2003. Have used with an Anthem Amp 1 (40 watts EL34 tubes), and now with a Granite Audio Aspen 800 (8 watt 300B SET). They are uniquely wonderful. I was perfectly happy without a sub for over 10 years, but I bought an SVS SB-12 NSD in 2016, and I like the extra low bass and improved articulation of bass that the sub delivers. But the De-Capos never seemed all that bass shy to me. I believe that the lack of an active crossover network really helps these speakers sound fast and articulate.

I have the 40th anniversary models with the carbon fiber side panels and woofers, beryllium tweeters and some woofer mods and also a very thick inert ported rear panel. They only have 1 cap to crossover the tweeter, which extends out to 40Khz. I think it's now a high quality Mundorf cap.

They produce ample bass flat down to 40HZ with extended highs, very detailed light and airy. they overall have a very natural sound to them.  I highly recommend them especially if you're pressed for space or tired of moving large heavy floor standing speakers around.

I've heard that they require a very long break-in period in which they keep improving and smoothing out over time, so let them play!