Reel to Reel information, user tips and tricks...

Reel to Reel.  I'm bringing my Reel to Reel rigs back into service. They have been in storage for almost 20 years.

I ordered, a new RtR pre amp. Decware ZP3 Phono/RtR valve preamp. I stopped using the medium, mainly while I was raising kids. I'm retired now getting everything in working order.  I had the misfortune of loosing a lot of the gear. Tapes, preamp, and Otari MX50/50 BII with a "direct head tap" via RCA. Any RtR people out there.
New tape? Better tape? I'm using 10.5" and down. It has been a while..
I'm looking at any mods on dampening the reels or heads for sound tweaks.

I'm going to playback, and record. Any pointers, ideas, are sure welcome.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, I know it's NOT digital. I like it, plane and simple. 

No name callin', be polite, ok.. HAVE FUN...

Regards
Ag insider logo xs@2xoldhvymec
https://www.erhard-audio.com/Nina.html

Here is a second one that I am NOT familiar with. They currently are not in production, No idea why, cases? The only thing you can't get unless they are having boards/soldering issues overseas.. Nasty thought..

Decware is US bases...

Regards
Besides the obvious sound quality angle of Decware’s all single-ended triode tube design, infinitely adjustable bias has cool factor written all over it.
If you are looking for blank tape source, a good one to consider it tapetape.com

they sell single pass reels and pancakes from several manufacturers.
You can get tape of all sorts (cassette, 1/4", 1/2", 1") from ATR Magnetics, the last remaining US supplier of audio tape
www.atrtape.com

When storing tape, its better in the attic than the basement! Get some packets of SilicaGel, and put a couple in the plastic bag with the reel of tape when you store it. This will help to prevent shedding.

You can use a toaster oven to bake tape that is shedding if its not too far gone. Generally set on the lowest setting (about 140 degrees F) for about 2-3 hours, and if that did the trick the tape won't need baking again for months.
You know I sure appreciate, chiming in.. It has been a LONG time. I forgot about that, the baking part. I've never had to do it.  BUT I've not used what's left of my system for over 20 years.

I left off with vinyl, cassettes, and the early part of CDs.  4X was a VERY fast CD..SCSI was where I was at. HUGE footprint hard drives. Priam, Maxtor and Seagate, certified series for Novel. 300 meg not gig, drives.  7 of them and a few CD drives... pretty fancy.. 

Old stuff like me... I kept a majority of it in the shop, the rest in a basement. The shop got nicked, the basement flooded 30 years ago AND still has 300-400 LP in it.. I take out 20 30 clean, listen re slip...
Thats been going on for the last 5 years or so.. 9/10 of the way done..

My wife was the vinyl person, I was the tape, and CD guy.. Go figure..
Now, it's all good....

Retirement... collecting STUFF.. Yup.. best job I ever had..

Again thanks for the tips. 

Regards