Redbook vs. SACD vs. Linear PCM 24 bit 192 kHz

Yesterday my copy of Trondheimsolistene Divertimenti arrived that will allow comparison of CD, SACD, and all of the blu-ray audio formats.

I'm currently just listening to the SACD version in the background in an effort to become somewhat familiar with the so far excellent music.

My plan for A/B is to use my SACD player vs. my blu-ray player that will use my receiver for the PCM D/A.

I can more fairly compare CD to the PCM because it will also use the receiver for D/A.

Both of these options will allow immediate switching between sources so hopefully the relative volumes will be fairly close.

Any thoughts on how to best do some A/B comparisons.

So far I can say that the SACD has a wonderful sound. I can't really turn the volume up with my wife napping as she recovers from surgery and my 5 month old son is also taking his nap.
mceljo

Showing 1 response by edorr

Lots of variables. Publishing formats, recording formats, mastering process, hardware, signal path. You can safely forget about a definitive conclusion about what format is inherently superior based on this shootout.

FWIW, I played the SACD and LPCM on my Sony ud9004 (when I still owned this), and found them nearly indistinguishable (with may be a slight edge for the SACD).

Any difference in SQ based on format is dwarfed by the difference in playing it in MCH versus 2 channel. The MCH playback on a good system puts the 2 channel to shame.