Redbook CD Is Not Dead

There are dozens of variant of this topic. Nevertheless, I want to start this OP to "defibrillate" an "old" technology -- "redbook" CD. I have posted many comments and questions about the next industry digital/electronic "standard" that old-heads like me should be thinking about. The responses sound like techno-babble. That of course presupposes that redbook CD has seen a better day. A similar view was expressed years ago by many about vinyl, but that technology is still with us.

Ok ... to the point. I wanted to test the proposition that some have made about redbook CD -- 16 bit/44.1K Hz. Specifically, that the technology is NOT obsolete. By contrast, if the music industry was less lazy and profit driven, and we the consumer less tolerant, redbook CD and our trusty CD players have lots of life left in them. Here's a thoughtful and largely understandable link that a member posted in another OP that explains the hypothesis:

http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

So ... to start testing the hypothesis, I logged onto the Acoustic Sounds music website. Here's the link:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/

Acoustic Sounds sells many so called hi-rez redbook CDs, e.g., "Gold," "HDCD," "Super HDCD 24 bit," and so forth. I bought 2 such CDs: (1) The Artistry of Linda Rosenthal, (First Impression Music, Inc.) (CD FIM 022VD) and (2) Jim Croce, Words and Music, (DCC Compact Disc Classics) (GZS-1134). First reactions are -- quite impressive. I'll continue to listen and report back.

I see no reason to trash a piece of equipment, or a technology, if it still has utility and can deliver the sonic goods. I will come back later with a music review of the Linda Rosenthal and Jim Croce CDs. I would like others to do the same, especially if they can suggest a good source of high-quality/almost vinyl quality redbook CD.

I will ask in advance that all member posts stay on topic. There are many threads that discuss the pros and cons of this versus that format or technology. Please keep such discussions in those other threads.

I would like to see a thread devoted to music reviews and sources of excellent quality redbook CD. Perhaps this thread and others like it will rejuvenate an older music medium that can still satisfy.

Thanks all.

Bruce
bifwynne

Showing 1 response by gsm18439

I primarily play CDs with few complaints. A good CD player, however, is not cheap.