Record collecting versus hoarding

At what point does "collecting" records become hoarding? Unless you are in the business of selling records either primarily or even secondarily, why do so many people here talk about having 2,3,4,6,10,000 records and CDs? It's not stamps or coins.

Let's say you listen to records 15 hours a week (a good estimate for me) that equates to about 750 hours a year or 1000 records a year. I like to listen to mine at least once every three months - I have 300 records and change. In the rare instance when I replace one for a better sounding one (I've done it maybe 4-5 times), I immediately sell the old one - with only one exception. The Sgt Pepper UHQR. I already had it on the Beatles Collection and do occasionally listen to it when I want a treat. It does sound better than the regular Mofi one, which sounds great to me.

Why would you have multiple copies of the same record and not just listen to the best sounding one and sell the rest?

Why would you want records you listen to less than once a year?

Maybe some people listen a lot more than me (and replace cartridges/styli pretty ofter or have a bunch of them)?

The reason I bring this up is because Acoustic Sounds is releasing Steely Dan's studio albums from the 1970s on their UHQR brand (not sure how they now own the name and not Mofi, but that is not the point), I am a huge fan and will be getting a few of these overpriced (IMHO) records, which will replace a few of my non-audiophile (except the Aja Mofi) records. I plan to sell the Aja Mofi immediately after getting the UHQR, which I am sure will sound much better. That is worth a few bucks, but the others I sell should be worth $10-15 in trade at a record store.

Anyone with records they play less than once a year or keep multiple pressings of a single album, please let me know your rationale.

Are you a hoarder? Too lazy to get rid of them? Like the way they decorate your room?

sokogear

I started buying records when I was 16 in 1968.  I have about 2,200 LP's now.  I've been a net seller for several years now, and like other contributors here, I'll pull out a record and put it on, and if it doesn't deliver, I'll typically sell it to my local record store, even though I know I could get more if I sold it directly. That's just too much bother.  What I'd like to add is that when I do sell a record, I like to think that there is someone out there who'll be excited to add that LP to their collection, and that's reassuring.  The money usually ends up going to fishing gear. 

@lewm - I have tolerance for everybody, just not for those that have multiple copies of the same record and never listen to them who buy with the intent to scalp (except of course the dealers). Let anyone who wants a record get it for MSRP or less (Amazon).Those that are just disorganized or unaware hoarders can do what they do. You sound like you are aware of your hoarding, so like you say, you are not a hoarder. Personally, if I have to go down to the basement to get a record to play, it will never get played. My efficiency (anal if you must) mindset dictates that any record in my rotation (97% at this point) is within 1-2 steps of my turntable. Not bending down or opening a glass door is preferable, but not possible for about 2/3 of them.  

+1 @mkiser - 2200 is a lot, but it sounds like you use and value each record or you toss it. I only sell on line if it is particularly valuable or for some reason my local record store is trying to steal it from me.

@mitchagain - I think for the most part, your circle of friends is representative. There are always exceptions. For example, my brother in law has 2-3K records all bought individually, and a very expensive set up (top of the line multi arm VPI, new CJ electronics, Vivid speakers) but he doesn't eve brush his records for dust before playing them, and I have even seen him remove dust from the stylus with his hands! He has cash to burn I guess as is not particularly into optimizing what he has purchased. That's a new category of audiophile, which is kind of oxymoronic, not really trying to constantly improve the sound.

+1 @whart 

@sokogear- with respect, I'm not sure you understand that there are record collectors apart from audiophiles. One famous one just passed- he had what some consider to be the best collection of 78s in the world- not by volume but by rarity. He was asked what he would do when he passed and said he didn't want them to go to the Smithsonian or Library of Congress because they would just get put in a vault after cataloging.

But, I took a visit to the Library intake center back in late 2014 and one comment made by the director of the facility stuck with me- if it weren't for these private collectors- not all of them rich or in it for the money (many of them self taught amateurs)-- these records and artifacts (whether shellac, wax, wire recordings or whatever) would have been lost to time. 

I'm a piker compared to somebody like that-- I came up in audiophile world where everybody played the same batch of "demo quality" records. Eventually I got bored with that and sought out my own path.

My point is not to criticize you-- instead, just to open a window on this other world for you if it isn't familiar. I can post a link to a piece I wrote after that Library visit-- you might find it interesting. 

regards,

Bill

I consider that to be like stamp or coin collecting. I'm used to those kinds of records mainly sought after to be profited from. 

I am not a history buff (or collector of anything - I hate wasting anything - if I don't use it, I get the itch to get rid of it), but I guess anything rare or old can be collected for historical purposes. I've heard of all kinds of things being collected for no other reason than collecting them (usually for profit-short or long term) vacuum cleaners, toasters, the guy who mentioned bikes, typewriters, really anything.

I still think the artist would have preferred to have his music listened to rather than sitting in a museum. If they digitize it and make it free to listen to or download, that would be ideal before storing it away.

Quality vs Quantity has been my mantra, and I weeded out any record that didn't meet expectations....resulting in a modest 600 plus collection that stopped when my ex finally badgered me into selling them off; CDs were my main interest anyway back in the 80's.

The quantity of promotional records distributed free to stores, radio stations, etc. during the day was incredible, and my disc jockey friends would let me take whatever I wanted from the unused promo stacks littering the radio station hallways. 

If I had so desired, my collection would have numbered in the thousands pretty quickly......but that wasn't the point.

It's pretty exciting to be at or close to being able to stream uncompressed music,  unlike vinyl records.