Recommended SET amp and speakers to 20k

Hello:  I am in the market for a SET amp, 2A3, 300b or 845, i haven’t decided yet and speakers to complement them.  My budget is 20k for both, used is fine.  If anyone has some recommendations/comments that would be very helpful.  Thanks,  Bruce
128x128bringgeld

I agree with previous posts that suggest the possibilities are nearly endless. Some would view the world of SET amps as a small niche, in an overall context of High End Audio that/s probably true. However within that special niche it is really something as to the number of SET choices available and many of them good!

Just within the 300b SET group there are multiple choices that span a broad price range. You still have 2A3, 845, 211,PX25 choices aplenty. Then you move on to speakers and there are again numerous choices. Granted that most of these speakers are from small/cottage type of brands but of very good quality. And again covering a wide price spectrum.

Here is  one (of many possibilities) example.

Coincident Frankenstein MK III 300b SET mono blocks (I own the older MK II version) ) paired with the superb Cube Audio Nenuphar with single 10 inch driver. Or the same simplifier paired with the lower cost (but highly regarded) Coherent Audio coaxial 2 way with choice of 10, 12 or 15 inch woofer (depends on room size).

Either of these speakers could be driven easily with a 3 watt 2A3 SET if desired. I could go on and on with other combos. Bottom line is there are many,many options available. 845 SETs open up other possibilities.

Charles

What’s most important to you sonically from speakers and system?  The Spatial Audio X3 looks like it can be driven by a SET amp, and it’s near full range with a powered woofer.  
I second the Charney Audio recommendation by larryi. Beautiful horns built on the tractrix theory that engage the listener. 
http://charneyaudio.com
After many years of trial and error, I now own Coincident Frankensteins and Zu Soul Supremes.  I could not be happier.
There are a lot of good suggestions, in my opinion, listed above.  I liked the Spatial Audio speaker too, and the 10" Cube Audio Nenuphar, and if you like your sound to be extremely dynamic (who doesn't) and don't mind a bit of a hard edge and brittleness, Zu speakers are in the game.  If you are looking for a warm, musical speaker that remains lively and engaging, Audio Note speakers should be auditioned.  They can work with low-powered SET amps (Audio Note sells such amps), even though they are not super efficient.

I own a speaker system where the midrange driver/horn alone is worth at least $25k, and yet, I might some day trade it in on a Charney Audio system that costs something like $17,000; it is that good.