recommendations of phono preamps < $3000 range

Been obsessing over trying to select a new phono pre .... could use some insights / experience  etc. and then some dealers to contact.

At this point I think I have the list down to either a Sutherland 20/20 or the Parasound JC3+.... was looking hard at the Whest 30RDT SE but it seems to be a little out of my price range and none on the used market. 

I am currently using a well modified Jolida JD9, and have rolled quite a few tubes through it.  

I want a phono pre that is more detailed / articulate, images better... don't care if it is tube or electronic.
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions    Jim
jimpittsburgh

Showing 1 response by shanticat

I started with a Jolida JD9 -> upgraded tubes to NOS Mullards, tube dampers, etc and it was well rounded, had some good flexibility with loading etc. However I wanted more articulation and got an Avid Pellar. Here I did find the articulation, very controlled bass, again flexibility with loading and gain, but much quieter than the Jolida. Yet I still wanted something that combined the attributes I liked from the Jolida and Avid but take it to another level. Then came the Herron. This was it. There is a balance of warmth, detail without being over analytical, with just the right amount of instrument separation, yet a musical coherent sound. It was one of those purchases for me, that says at the price point and what I got, I am happy and not left wondering about other choices. I am not one to say this beats everything, or is worth more than you pay, and is your last stop, Reading what you are looking for, I certainly would keep Herron on your list other than it being higher than you wanted to spend. I like it so much I now am looking at the Herron Line Stage.