Recommendations for headphones under $400?

Pretty simple
Good recommendation for a pair of headphones under $400, these could be lightly used so new prices are not the limit.
Mostly listen to rock music so must have a fair bass response
Presently using an old pair of Grado that are really not that comfortable to wear at all, and do not have decent bass.

Thank you
128x128uberwaltz
" The h160 may end up being the most sensible option as modifying the h300 might seriously deter potential future owners.
Still also seems a darn shame to have that doorstop of a BAT amp sitting idle too.
Maybe I just buy more speakers and make 3 or 4 systems!"

Hi uberwaltz,

I would think that modifying your H300’s pre outs so they function as true pre outs would only increase its value since others would likely realize the value of this mod just as you have.
Your Bat-VK600SE is an expensive, well respected solid state amp that you’d likely be able to sell for a significant price if it’s in good condition. Why not sell it to finance the H300 mod and a good headphone amp? You’d also be freeing a good amp from a doomed fate of collecting dust in a closet to do what it was made to do: drive high quality speakers with high quality amplification.
I would suggest the following course of action:
1. If you like the performance of the H160 in your system once you audition it, buy one and sell your Hegel H300 and Bat-VK600SE.
2. If you like the performance of the H300 more than the H160 in your system, have the mod done to your H300’s pre outs, buy a good external headphone amp of your choice and sell your Bat-VK600SE.
3. Avoid buying more speakers and making 3 or 4 additional systems.

Scenario #3 only proliferates the number of your home systems in which you are unable to have a good and convenient method of listening to headphones in.

Both scenario #1 and #2 ensures you have both a good amp that you like driving your speakers and a good amp. either internal with the H160 or external with the H300, that you like driving your somewhat inefficient Hifiman 400i headphones.

I hope my suggestions helped you a bit,
Tim
It is not difficult to make foam pads/headphone covers.

I experimented with different densities, and was able to cut
pieces of foam with a kitchen knife and scissors.  For my Grado 125s
I used a quarter for the size of hole of the inner circle (closest to the ear)
and played with the size, shape, and thickness of the rest of the piece.
I think my version sounds much better than the two optionsthat I have bought
from the manufacturer.

When you get packaging material in the mail, it isn't hard to wonder,
"what can I creatively manipulate in the quest for better sound?"
Well for now I have taken up the offer of the h160 on home audition, expected to see it Friday or Saturday and will make decisions from there.
Personally I think it will likely be the right move and will put the h300 and the BAT up for sale.
Happy listening ahead indeed
Hi uberwaltz,

Sounds good.
     Please post back with your impressions and decision.
Thanks,
  Tim
The H160 has fulfilled my expectations of basically being the same sq as the h300 and now able to use headphones.
So it is a keeper and the h300 and BAT are listed on here for sale.
Undecided on the hifiman cans though as of yet.
I also picked up a pair of akg ath-m50x at a very fair price and imho their sound is a little more defined with more emphasis on vocals, and just seem more well defined on separation of instruments.
Hours of listening ahead though...