Recommendations for Earplugs That Work – Protect But Allow Music In

Anyone have experience with ear plugs they can recommend that protects hearing, but lets the music in?

Went to a concert last night. Band was too loud for anyone who values their hearing. I immediately put in my ear plugs. Unfortunately, these cushy type do not do a good job of attenuating low frequency, so you are mainly hearing kick drum and low bass (boom, boom, boom). I recorded some of it and it sounded good when played back. So choice was lose your hearing or horrible sound, I chose hearing. Using Decibel X app glanced down and saw and SPL readding of 117dB reading, ouch. So not great even with earplugs.

Today, I cranked the stereo and tried cushy earplugs along with the type that cover your ears and same effect. I understand the solution is for bands to play at reasonable sound pressure levels, but good to be ready for anything. Any recommendations, I have a number of shows scheduled to go to this summer.

georgeab

All I can say here is that I had to leave an Elton John concert, because even ear plugs didn't have enough protection. I was really bummed, but there is no way that I would sacrifice my hearing for one event.

What was said about going to an audiologist (that you can trust) makes very good sense to me.

Thanks for the input everyone. I never realized there are so many products readily available for this. Going to purchase a pair or two, experiment at home, and be ready for the next show.