Recommendations for Earplugs That Work – Protect But Allow Music In

Anyone have experience with ear plugs they can recommend that protects hearing, but lets the music in?

Went to a concert last night. Band was too loud for anyone who values their hearing. I immediately put in my ear plugs. Unfortunately, these cushy type do not do a good job of attenuating low frequency, so you are mainly hearing kick drum and low bass (boom, boom, boom). I recorded some of it and it sounded good when played back. So choice was lose your hearing or horrible sound, I chose hearing. Using Decibel X app glanced down and saw and SPL readding of 117dB reading, ouch. So not great even with earplugs.

Today, I cranked the stereo and tried cushy earplugs along with the type that cover your ears and same effect. I understand the solution is for bands to play at reasonable sound pressure levels, but good to be ready for anything. Any recommendations, I have a number of shows scheduled to go to this summer.

georgeab

The best you're gonna do is to go see an audiologist and have custom ear plugs made for you. They should be able to mold them to your ear.

What kgturner said. That is the only way you are going to get what you are looking for. You can not only customize the fit, but also the overall effectiveness. For OTC Decibullz are moldable and overall pretty good.

I went out twice a week for over 20 years, to live music in small music clubs. Sat up front to take photos of the many musicians I became friendly with.. VERY often too loud.

I learned to make my own protection by simply tearing up tissues or paper napkins and pushing some in my ears, you get a sense of how much, and how dense or loose to fold and how loose or firmly to insert them. Sometimes only 1 ear, on the drummer’s side perhaps, would need a bit of protection.

Even if way in the back of a big concert hall, I still try to remember to grab some tissues, cocktail napkins from the bar, good old TP if unprepared will save the day.

Maintain audibility but avoid excess.