Recommendations for Amp/speaker combo for $10,000

Looking for advice on an amp, pre amp, speaker combination for $10,000. Would like to try tube amps. Music only system. Listen to classical (symphonic, chamber), opera and jazz. Room size is 16' x 18'. Will use various digital and analogue sources.
tjm1964
Tjm1964...do you insist on preamp and amp separates or will you also entertain integrated amp? Also, are you talking about only new or would you consider used as well (obviously you can get more performance for your $10K if you are willing to buy used)?
Cmalak- preference would be mono amps and a preamp. However, if you think at this price point I'd get more bang for the buck with an integrated, I'd entertain it. I would consider used although I have never purchased used before.
I'm pretty sure that you won't take this recommendation seriously but here it is. Ayre V5, Ayre K5 and Vandersteen Model 2's.
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-wilson-audio-sophia-i-fly-yellow-2012-12-16-speakers-77429

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tube-einstein-absolute-tune-hybrid-integrated-2012-12-17-integrateds-20880
I dunno, I think I would first identify speakers that sounded the best in my room. Then I would probably begin my search for an amp/premp combo that worked correctly with my speakers and the room in which they are placed.

After all, *everyone* here knows that the room/speaker interface is, BY FAR, the most critical metric used to obtain the best sound quality from any sound system. This is closely followed by using the very best source material available for the music I like to listen to.

After you get those parts of the system identified, you can then begin the search for the cables and such needed to eke out the last little bit of sound quality that you seek....

-RW-
Agree with RW above, speakers and room match are critical early steps as is overall system matching.

Harbeths are balanced and revealing on jazz and classical and positioning is important.

If pre owned: Pass Labs XP-10, Ayre V-5xe, Harbeth C7-ES3

If new: LFD NCSE, Harbeth C7-ES3

These suggestions based on home audition in a similarly sized room.
Agree with RW above, speakers and room match are critical early steps as is overall system matching.

Harbeths are balanced and revealing on jazz and classical and positioning is important.

If pre owned: Pass Labs XP-10, Ayre V-5xe, Harbeth C7-ES3

If new: LFD NCSE, Harbeth C7-ES3

These suggestions based on home audition in a similarly sized room.
TJM1964 -- You really have a ton of options in that price range. And you will obviously get many, many different thoughts from the group here. If you have the chance, I would certainly suggest going for a listen if you have any local dealers and pick what you think sounds best suited to your ears and musical tastes.

A few ideas on the tube side--

Cary SLI80

Rogue Tempest III

Rogue Stereo 90 and 99 preamp

Great speaker options to go with these above--

Joseph Pulsar

Tannoy Turnberry or DC8t/DC10t or Precision 6.4

Just a few ideas. I am a dealer for these brands.

Good luck!!
"After all, *everyone* here knows that the room/speaker interface is, BY FAR, the most critical metric used to obtain the best sound quality from any sound system. This is closely followed by using the very best source material available for the music I like to listen to."

No offense at all to RW, but I don't fall into the *everyone* catagory. His recommendations are valid and important things to consider, but there's just more too it than that. Even if you get everything he mentions right (and you need to), there's plenty more ways to mess up a system.
You would do us (and yourself) a huge favor if you indicated what aspects of sound reproduction are most important to you along with what specifically you are looking to improve upon. It would also help to know what equipment you're currently using so we know what your sonic benchmark is. Without this information we are all just shooting in the dark.
Are you considering anything specific yet? In amps, pre amps, or speakers? Your question is so vague (altho it's good that you listed your Room size & music preference), you could get dozens of answers, many of which could be good.

I'd focus on speakers first probably--unless you're totally decided on a tube amp--then you could pick the amp & get tube friendly speakers.....
Not knowing much about your room or tastes, if I were about to spend 10k it would be something like,

Ayre integrated with aerial 7t's
Or, Ayre separates with Nola contenders, vandy's, possibly aerial 7b (I love mine but given how long they've been around you may not be comfortable with the likely age of the speakers you'd be buying).

If I could stretch a bit I'd do 7t or 9's with Ayre separates.
Try the Bob Carver Cherry 180 (200 watt) tube mono blocks with built in volume control and Magnaplanar 1.7 or Reference 3A MM DeCapo. Transparency, truth of timbre, incredible soundstage/imaging, dynamics, life-like sound. You won't get ultimate bass extension with these speakers though. You'll need subwoofer for that.
Tannoy DC10T floorstanding speakers with 300B SET amp, e.g., Wavelength Cardinal. Recommend you buy the speakers new or demo, and look for a used pair of Cardinal X2 monoblocks.
I recommend the Philharmonic 2s with a Mackintosh 275 amp. The Phils are the most transparent speaker that I have heard. They could really convince me that the instruments are in front of me on stage. The Philharmonic 3 has a bit more bass but is less efficient which would be a factor in choosing a tube amp. With the Philharmonic 3s you would want to consider getting two tube amps in monoblock form used.

Bob
Perhaps take a listen to DeVore 0/93's. You could do either the LM 211IA which use EL34's, or their KT88 amp. That model # escapes me. Either of these amps with the 0/93's will have you south of 10K. These are tube integrateds, and are IMHO, good bang for the buck. I am a happy owner of 0/96's, and a 211IA, but use them in different systems. DeVore/LM have been paired at quite a few recent shows, so I suspect a listening opportunity may be pretty easy. If you choose a speaker this efficient, you will have a wide range of tube amps to choose from.
I am very satisfied with my set, it is the Almarro 318B integrated with Zu Omen Def. It is quite life like. It is way under your budget .. but I am not sure if more expensive means better. For the extra, you can spend on other stuff like a good turn table or CD player or DAC ...

Another set I would like to try in the future is Magnaplanar with more powerful SS amp and subwoofer. That is already suggested by Draculel. But I don't have a dedicated listening room and don't want to put those big black planel in my living room. I tested it in a hi-fi store, as said, it is very life like ... I am thrill with goosebumps when I hear the female vocal, it seems she is right in front of me ... I still remember that sound ... I don't think I can get that kind of sound from cone speakers ...