Recommendations for a nice direct view set

I am in need of advice for the purchase of a new direct view tv for my smallish HT. I am looking in the range of 35-36", and have always had a preference for Sony products. What is the real bargain in sets of this size at the moment? I need at least one set of component-ins. I'd like to keep it under $1500. Thanks!
128x128makofkalaw

Showing 1 response by chaskelljr2001

"Makofkalaw":

Sony sets are VERY nice, but I also think that they are WAY overpriced. In my humble opinion, I think that Panasonic and Toshiba tend to give you more set for your money (peformance, picture quality, connections, and features). Take that from someone who owns a 27" Panasonic SuperFlat (and it was the TOL model back in 2000...... CT-27SF37). Compared it with a comparable Sony model that same year, with the controls on both sets properly adjusted, and yes..... I have to admit, the Sony did edge the Panasonic out, but that was only slightly. But the VERY thing I had a big problem with was that the Sony was $200.00 more than the Panasonic, but yet, in my humble opinion, I believed at the time that although, the Sony's picture was slightly better than the Panasonic was, that wasn't good enough to justify the additional expenditure as far as I was concerned, and therefore, I ended up picking the Panasonic. And if you REALLY like Sony's TV, then why not go with an XBR model (great sets...... but for more money too..... a LOT more as a matter of fact). Speaking of which, the 27" Sony that I have checked out in 2000 was an "none" XBR model by the way. I don't think that Sony has made a 27" XBR since about 1996 (if that is correct), and in my opinion, it was still overpriced. So with that said then, my recommendations for a 36" Direct-View set are:

(01). Panasonic (the TAU series).
(02). Toshiba (the Cinema series).

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.........