Recommendations for a modestly priced analog system

I have been listening to digital music only for a number of years. Now I am thinking of adding an analog system. I don't want to go nuts buying expensive components. I just want to get under the proverbial point of diminishing return. I have  Cary Audio 98P preamp, VAC phi 200 (planning) and Sound Lab ESL speakers. My budget from turntable to cartridge is $5-7K. I prefer buying used for the best bang for the buck. As I am getting older, I need a no fuss, durable and low maintenance system. Any recommendations?
128x128chungjh
I am not married to Cary SLP-98P. I bought it used one month ago for $2500. I can sell it get a new MC phono/preamp if needed. So, may be I need to think about a phono/preamp as well?
I have the Cary SLP98P.  I used it for many years until I recently went to a Cayin integrated.  The phono stage on the Cary is good but I much prefer my EAR834P (RIP Tim de Paravicini ).  It's really not even close.
As millercarbon recommends, focus on a phono stage as much as the table. One can make or break the other. Avoid tables such as those with a built in phono stage or USB capability. Those features just run the price up and do not add to the quality and performance.
Simply....table, cartridge, arm, and phono stage, and solid support. For your budget you should be able to get a pretty decent rig. Then the adventure starts....all the good vinyl you can get your hands on.

Lot's of good recommendations already given.  

You can find a very nice used VPI TT in your price range and leave enough room for a good phono stage and cartridge.  Lots of deals on VPI's that have upgraded 3d tonearms and a good cartridge such as the ortofon black.  You should be able to find a package in the $3k-$4k range and that leaves you plenty for a decent phono preamp.  

Many good choices out there for a phono preamp but it depends on your preamp.  I would pay attention to input / output impedance match up.  MillerCarbon recommends an outstanding phono stage with the Herron but make sure your preamp can match up well with the high output impedance of a tube phono stage.  Unless unusually low such as the case with my Bryston BP26 preamp you should be fine.   If you want something different the Parasound JC3 also is a good choice IMO. 

Good luck on your journey.  Your budgeting enough to put together something very nice.  Enjoy!