Recommendations for 93+ DB efficient moniters

I am looking to replace my 90db/6 > 8 ohm/2way bookshelf speakers, wall mounted, that are just not quite efficient enough for my 300b SET amplifier. I have only found the following speakers that appear suitable:

Galante Rhapsody....96db
Omega Super 3 Reference with Alnico upgrade, 93db

Both are about the same price; ie, 1200 bucks. Used for the Galante and new with trial period for the Omega. I keep leaning to the Galante because it, clearly, is in another class from the Omega speakers at least in cabinet construction. It is also much more efficient and will put out better bass so it could be used w/o a subwoofer. The Omega requires a woofer for close to full range reproduction.

I was looking at the Coincident Triumph Signature but I read some reports that concluded that its rated sensitivity is, in the real world, closer to 90db so I dropped that one from consideration.

I want to be able to reproduce symphonic works at moderate volume levels and I cannot do that right now without the sound starting to compress/clip.

I'd like to keep the cost around 1000 to 1500 so that lovely Royal Devices speaker with the horn is out of the question.
c123666

Showing 3 responses by c123666

I figure I can hang them from the ceiling if they are rear ported. I did that for a pair of Linn Tukans (rear ported small moniter) in a home theatre setup and they sound great; just a bit of bass boost from they ceiling.

Thank for the advice on the diCapo; had only seen the Dulcet before and it is, clearly, not efficient enough.

One more added to the list. The galante rhapsody is 1200 so this is a bit more expensive; getting up there again.

As the boys once said "All you need is dough..."

dum dum dum da dum...
What about the Reference 3A virtuoso models? It has similar sensitivity numbers but is substantially more expensive new; used the increase is not earth shattering IF the performance over the diCapo warrants the outlay.
Purchased the Rhapsody speakers and hung them from the ceiling; 20" from rear wall and 20" from side wall and angled down to listening position. sounds great..the increased dynamics are quite obvious over the prior speakers which were 90db vs the 96db of these. The prior speakers sounded very, very good, too, so there is not much of a qualititative improvement in sound. There is more dynamics which was the point of the exercise.

Lovely looking speakers, too; wonderful craftsmanship.