Recommendation for Improvement over McCormack DNA-225

I currently have a McCormack DNA 225 mated with a VTL 2.5 and Line Magnetic 502 DAC powering my Salk Veracity HT3's. I think it sounds really nice but can definitely have some top end harshness, especially at the volumes I like to listen to.  I consider the Salk's are fairly power hungry in the low end (as confirmed with Jim Salk), can anyone recommend a SS amp with as much grunt as the McCormack in the range of 2K plus or minus.  Sure I would like a Pass or Ayre, but those are way above my price bracket.    I've tried Bel Canto Ref1000 mono's and Van Alstine.  The DNA had a better mid range presentation and better bottom end than both, no comparison.  Any other recommendations shy of the DNA 500, which again is over my price range.
128x128dwolek

Showing 1 response by djohnson54

Have you tried different tubes in the VTL?  I use a McCormack DNA-0.5 Deluxe along with a BAT VK-3i and Merlin speakers.  I would not characterize the McCormack as bright in my system and my room but the tubes used in the BAT definitely make a difference.  The RAAL tweeter used by Salk is well-respected but it's known to be quite "transparent."  I suspect its interaction with your room is most of your problem.  It's also possible that the tweeter is revealing issues with the source material as it's not going to be very kind to bad recordings. Dick