Recommendation for a modern Duntech Sovereign 2001 replacement

After o.a. the Snells (Model A/II, B Minor), Vandys (2Ce sigII), Thiels (2.2, 3.6), I settled on Dunlavy (SC I, III, IV) and Duntech (Black Knight and Sovereign 2001). These all have 1st order xo and soft dome speakers (I have had plenty of other speakers).

I listen mostly to classical, Jazz and occasionally classic Rock. Must have superb mid range.

Looking for a modern version (closed box or electrostatic) which should be smaller and, very important, offers a higher WAF (which should not be difficult).

Any recommendations?

128x128jazzonthehudson
Jazz what is your budget, how lively is the room, what components do you have?

The Duntech was a physically large speaker and so if you really want to replicate that kind of sound you will also need a physically large speaker which is going to mean spending some good money $15k to $50k and above. 

A fantastic Duntech like speaker is the Dali Epicon 8 which is stunning looking and has a very liquid midrange and still has superb highs The Dali sounds way bigger than its size add a couple of good woofers and you will be in heaven. and the speakers are amazing looking. sleek and curved cabinets. 

Tekton Ulberchets sound like Duntechs but are hardly attractive speakers  but they are a fantastic value. 

Please feel free to reach out to us, we sold Duntech for years.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ

I like the Avantgarde range - not so sure about WAF though

Another speaker that might apeal to the WAF is Gershman Acoustics GA-P or black swan.

Haver you considered Tannoy? 

All three have smooth highs, great mid's and a very tight bass but they each excell as follows...

For looks - the GA-P or Black Swan - superb finish and articulate sound

For superb Mids, Highs and image - the Avantgarde 

For really smooth voice with a more "classic" style look at Tannoy

I have listened to all three and to my ears they sounded far more articulate and lively than both the Sonus Faber Aida and the  Focal Utopia.

Regards - Steve

@ Audio Doctor
The current room (about 30x24ft and tall enough, sloping upward) is big enough but I need to factor in a smaller room when we move in 2 years.

I am not looking to have the same sound as the Sovereign 2001s, just saying I like the way they can reproduce. Hopefully improve on the speed of the bass (guess the 12" woofers show their age).

Do the Ulfberht come with a grill? They remind me of shooting range targets...never liked speakers with an array of tweeters. How does one control phase with so many drivers?

Heard a Dali monitor before, great but but not "moved" at the time. Probably the hybrid tweeter is a lot better.

@williewonka
Thanks Steve for the suggestions, esp the comparison with SF Aida (was on my shortlist, I had the Cremona and Concertinos in a different setup but only kept them for a very short while) and Focal Utopia. What about the Revels?

Avantgarde may not fit the WAF bill, though I appreciate a good horn (had the Klipschorns decades ago).

Gershman Acoustics looks nice (enough) , will look into them.

Tannoy, which one?

Regards,

Charles
Post removed 
I am not suggesting a speaker that will sound just like them but will give you a similar feeling. The Dali Epicon 8 are unbelievably musical loudspeakers.

Tone Audio did a story on them saying you don’t need to spend $50k and above on speakers when you have something that is that musical.

There is no speaker that Gershman makes that has a similar feel to the Sovereigns other than the Black Swans,.

Avante Gardes are excellent horns but if you like the smooth laid back Duntech sound the horn colorations willl drive you crazy.

Jazz if you are on the Hudson River in NY State you may want to drive down for a visit. We have some remarkable loudspeakers that will like the Legacy Aeris has a big rich room filling sound, and the Dali’s will be right up your alley. We also have the Kef Blades which are remarkable and work really well in that size room.

We are three miles outside of NYC so we should be easy to get to you

Sincerely,

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor